Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Notice Board - Charter of the Forest

Author: Michael Hare
Posted: Thu 23rd Nov 2017, 18:35
Local Group: The Irregulars
I see that at the AGM there will be a visit to Lincoln - I thought I would point out that there has been a New Charter of the Forest created to suit modern times. Because Lincoln castle holds one of the only two surviving 1217 Charters of the Forest they have erected a king Post in the Castle and they have (or the Cathedral I am not sure which) a copy of the new as well as the Old Charter.
Google in Charter of the Forest if you want to know more. But Basically the 1217 one laid down the commoners rights to the Forests, Access etc. 'The first right to roam' May be worth a look if you are there - the Castle is very near the Cathedral. The Charter of the Forest is regarded by Historians as important as the Magna Carta.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law