Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Hills and Hill Registers - Access to County Tops

Author: David Purchase
Posted: Sun 16th Sep 2018, 15:41
Local Group: Essex & Herts
Paul,

I realise that this reply is too late to help your specific enquiry. Believe it or not, only in the last couple of weeks have I become aware of this forum!

I would like to send some comments in the hope that they might be of interest to others. But first, which were the two County Tops that you were wishing to visit? It is more helpful if I can refer to specific instances as well as making general comments.

David Purchase
HR Recorder
Author: Paul Glynn
Posted: Mon 8th Jan 2018, 15:25
Local Group: Cumbria
I'm planning to take in two county tops on an upcoming social walk.
As neither of these tops sit on a public footpath or on access land I'm intending to route the walk to the nearest point of public access.
Would this be an acceptable alternative for those in the group wishing to claim the top?
(i.e alternative to arranging access for potentially 20 or so people).
I'd be interested in other people's views on this.
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Tue 14th Nov 2017, 15:33
Local Group: East Lancashire
Probable (website doesn't say so but it's in October-November's list) 2017 reprint of Jonny Muir's 2011 Cicerone guide. Blurb says:

The UK's County Tops
Reaching the top of 91 historic counties
by Jonny Muir
Book published by Cicerone Press
ISBN: 9781852846299
Inspiring guide to 82 walking routes reaching the tops of the UK's 91 historic counties in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, from Inverness-shire's Ben Nevis (1344m) to Huntingdonshire's Boring Field (80m) visiting 10 national parks and the full range of UK countryside. OS maps, colour photography, many county facts.

Iain.
Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Tue 14th Nov 2017, 9:15
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Most County tops are on rights of way or access land. But a few are on private land.
These are the ones I know of.
Arbury Hill Northamptonshire: I called at the farm for permission and the farmer was very friendly and helpful. He strongly objects to people going on his land without permission but is happy to give permission. He worries about dogs and litter as he has had problems in the past with both. I would recommend getting permission and leaving the dog at home on your Arbury Hill day. Gates are not locked and there is no barbed wire on them.
Ask at Staverton Lodge, Northamptonshire, NN11 3DA

Staverton Clump. Twin top Northamptonshire. The farm, south of the Clump, to ask is owned by Wakefields . I do not know its address. From http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/CountyTopsHistoric.php?ct=EWM# you may get the impression permission is not necessary, however, all gates are locked and there is plenty of barbed wire to deal with. So I guess permission is advisable and same point about dogs.

Kent county top is famously in someone's garden and access without permission is a no-no. But apparently the occupant will invite you in if she is in the garden when you visit. When I get there I will try remember to take some chocolates as a present!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law