Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Herts Hobble

Author: Robert Newell
Posted: Fri 30th Jun 2017, 13:41
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
I agree. It is a superb event. For me that area of Hertfordshire was always a place I drove through via the M11 or A1M to get to the South, I never knew the quiet villages, medieval churches, rolling countryside and woodland that contained in between. Some of the paths and bridleways are clearly very old and have been used for hundreds of years, untouched by the modernisation of the new towns close by.

It was funny when everyone went the wrong way at the start, interestingly the same thing happend last year at the Herts Hobble in Buntingford, where the leaders of the pack went the wrong way and everyone followed! It's so easy to switch off even that early and follow the person ahead like sheep!

One of the most enjoyable things was the fact I had no GPS download to reference from. I was forced to closely read the instructions and not blindly follow the route on the phone, when I was lost or too lazy to read the instructions. I found the event more enjoyable that way.
Author: Steve Platt
Posted: Thu 29th Jun 2017, 10:08
Local Group: London
Echoing everything that's said about this event. Many thanks to all involved. It never ceases to surprise me just how quiet some patches of countryside can still be so close to London.
Author: Michael Jones
Posted: Wed 28th Jun 2017, 22:10
Local Group: Heart of England
Lovely countryside around Bramfield, and an extensive network of footpaths ensured that use of roads was minimised. The route description was clear, food at the checkpoints was excellent The weather arranged the ideal compromise - we were spared both the heatwave of the previous weekend and the torrential rain we've had since! Many thanks to everyone who helped to put the event on, and if any walkers are looking for a new event to try next year I can certainly recommend this one.

It also provided a valuable lesson in the risks of following the person in front of you - only 100 yards or so into the event, those at the front confidently turned right, and almost everyone else followed suit. The marshals (and the few of us who were actually reading the route description) had to point out that it clearly said to turn left!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law