Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Carrying poles a shared idea

Author: Lee Hall
Posted: Thu 22nd Jun 2017, 11:42
Local Group: Sherwood
Prior to NYM100 I wanted a system to carry my walking poles so I could have access to them whilst walking but didn't want to have to stop and take my pack off or carry them by hand. I required to be able to assemble them use then and stow them without stopping.

So I tried several ideas whilst training for NYM100 and finally found the best way for me. I simply purchase two cheap carabiners that opened wide enough to take the sticks. I attached the my carabiners to my shoulder straps one on each side and allowed them to slide to the bottom of the straps at my waist, I simply inserted my sticks through the carabiner gate and they just dangled there, when I needed them I just oped the carabiner gates took the sticks out set them up (while walking) and used them. I was a little concerned about climbing a stile(s) or using a kissing gate but I never have a problem.

I found this idea quick and easy and thought i'd pass it on, as it saves physically carrying by hand or storing on a pack when not being used, enabling hands free.

About an hour prior to the start of the NYM100 I was still debating to take my sticks or not, I said to my self, I went to all the trouble of working out a way to carry them so, I will carry them, I'm so glad i did, they saved me :)

I hope this may help someone.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law