Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Amazing service from Cotswold Outdoor!

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sun 11th Jun 2017, 16:59
Local Group: Mid Wales
Hi Dave and welcome,
Well you had a better experience than I did a tCotswolds - though I think there is a similar link between our experiences

I bought a pair of walking shoes there and was told by the salesperson that they now do a guaranteed replacement of the shoe if it wears out, I bring in the knackered shoe and they give me a new pair, that's it. I subscribed to their "loyalty card" thingy which I think gave me 2 years on this guarantee.
I checked with the salesperson several times and was assured it was all true "One local walker is on his 3rd pair of free boots", flippin brilliant I thought!

8 months later I returned with the remnants (I am a little hard on them!) of my shoes for a new pair. To be told by the shop manager that such a guarantee does not exist, standard gaurantee only covers faulty workmanship (the usual) and I had simply worn mine out through normal use and would have to buy a new pair at full price.

Was I mis-sold the shoes, absolutely, it sounds to me like some crossed messages have gone out through the stores regards replacement walking boots/shoe - you may have got lucky, I wasn't!
Author: Dave Lane
Posted: Tue 6th Jun 2017, 17:18
Local Group: Kent
Let's start with the bottom line...

I walked into the Cotswold Outdoor shop in Canterbury today with soggy feet. I left the shop with brand new boots, a pair of £20 walking socks, and a few pounds credited to my debit card - and it cost me absolutely nothing.

I'm still trying to get my head around what happened, and explaining it won't be easy (for you or for me!), but here goes:

This morning, I went for a walk in the pouring rain. After an hour I noticed my feet were getting wet, and after two hours my feet were soaking. After three hours I arrived in Canterbury and the rain had eased considerably. My boots were quite expensive and have a Gore-Tex lining, which I wouldn't expect to let water through (they hadn't up 'till now anyway!), so I decided to pop into Cotswold Outdoor where I bought them. The boots are six months old and have done a great many miles so I was only expecting some advice about re-proofing them (or whatever!). But as soon as the assistant saw my squelching boots he insisted on replacing them there and then with an identical new pair. And because I couldn't be expected to walk home with soggy socks he got me to try on a pair of "The Best Socks There Are". They felt good and, although I'd not usually spend £20 on one pair of socks, I was getting new boots worth over £160 so I was happy to buy them. However, at the till the assistant noticed that I'd used my LDWA card recently which gives me a 15% discount and also that I'd paid full price for my boots (I hadn't been a member of the LDWA at the time), so he said that CO actually owed me around £25 because the 15% discount applied to the replacement boots (which have gone up in price since I bought mine)! So I got the socks for 'free', and money credited to my account - and a brand new pair of boots! Nice one Cotswold Outdoor!

(By the way, I'm a new-ish member and this is my first post. Hi!)

Dave

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law