Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Macmillan Way

Author: Francis Hay
Posted: Wed 6th Dec 2017, 16:30
Local Group: Surrey
Completed the walk in June 2017 - in 3 weeks as planned despite 3 walking days of 35 plus degrees and 2 days of gales on the Fens. Great walk. Some of the paths overgrown and so hard to find and yes you had to keep your wits about you as the path overlaps with others. Sadly there were also attempts to "block" the path in certain places, so some gate climbing and barbed wire fences to get through. It's not a popular path, don't know why because it is magnificent, so a lot of solitary walking. Other walkers I met were just doing sections or walking the overlapping paths.
Author: Arthur Metcalfe
Posted: Mon 6th Nov 2017, 16:22
Local Group: West Yorkshire
ps take care full note of the way marks as this path uses parts of other long distance paths ie the monarchs way which as very similar way marks ( black on white) very east to make a quick glance and end walking on the wrong one.for some miles until one realises it does not match the guide book.
Author: Arthur Metcalfe
Posted: Mon 6th Nov 2017, 16:17
Local Group: West Yorkshire
hi do take a secatairs to cut through the hedgerows,overgrown branches covering the steps through the stiles. of which I encounted when I walked this path some years ago. a very nice walk.
Author: Francis Hay
Posted: Sun 21st May 2017, 15:21
Local Group: Surrey
Has anyone done this? If so any tips? I have accommodation arranged already. I'm intending to do the "traditional" route from Boston to Abbotsbury in June. I intend to walk it over 3 weeks so just under 20 miles a day Monday - Friday with w/e's off. First bit should be pretty easy from the Wash but are there any tricky bits to watch out for after that?

(Good luck to all 100 milers enjoy)

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law