Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Environment Matters - Cut backs in Public Rights of Way Maintainance

Author: Malcolm Stephenson
Posted: Tue 7th Mar 2017, 19:48
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Thanks for info Ian, that was my thoughts that paths were maintained near Schools etc and further a field would be neglected eventually
I am going to fill in the online form before the deadline date, but was waiting see if I could get some other walkers views to give me extra ideas before filling it in
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Mon 6th Mar 2017, 12:08
Local Group: East Lancashire
I have responded to this using the North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) consultation links.

The focus of NYCC's proposed cuts to Rights of Way maintenance is on 'community needs' and usefulness at the local level. Though this includes such things as safe use by school pupils and short-distance access on community path networks, it does not emphasise *actual* usage on, for example, through-routes (LDPs, named, funded or otherwise) and challenge routes. This is ironic since NYCC's boundaries include two of most heavily used routes in the UK, namely Wainwright's Coast to Coast and the Three Yorkshire Peaks. NYCC also includes some of England's most well-known LDPs including the Pennine Way, Pennine Bridleway, Dales Way, Ribble Way and Cleveland Way.

If it is true that walking is the country's most popular outdoor activity, and that (unattributed quote recently encountered) 38 per cent of the population 'used a long distance trail' in the cited year (2007, 'most recent figures'), then it follows that *actual* usage and not 'community need' (however defined) would be a better basis by which to prioritise repairs and maintenance. The reason why we have our extensive Rights of Way network is historical: local and community based (access to and from churches, schools, railway stations, village/town centres). Now, however, usage is mainly (even exclusively) recreational and healthy, including but not limited to through routes and long distance trails.

Local councils of all political flavours are currently obliged to cast around for something else on which to save money. NYCC's latest cunning plan would at best under-emphasise and at worst ignore one of the resources of which the county should be most proud, namely its network of LDPs. The LDWA database might be first source for under-exercised (in body and mind) councillors searching for Rights of Way at which to direct their dwindling resources.

Iain
Author: Malcolm Stephenson
Posted: Sun 5th Mar 2017, 21:26
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
I received a Newsletter from North Yorkshire County Council, a couple of days ago, which includes an article, re consultation document Public Rights of Way (see link below)

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/33542/Have-your-say-on-public-rights-of-way&source=nynowmar17

It looks to me that some of the paths are not going to be maintained at all, if it goes ahead, due to a points system see Consultation Document below

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/media/35613/Public-rights-of-way-consultation---consultation-proposals/pdf/Public_rights_of_way_consultation_-_consultation_proposals.pdf

As an Organisation which needs these facilities, we need to make a stand now I believe

What are other members views?? please

The closing date for this consultation is Sunday 19 March 2017

Sorry it is short notice, you will see above that I only received it recently

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law