Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - ... and another thing ...

Author: John King
Posted: Thu 21st Sep 2006, 16:57
Yep echo that, i also cycle,run, walk, and i will give precedence to that for which the route was designed, but never for that which has no right to be there.

John
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Thu 21st Sep 2006, 16:41
Local Group: London
Speaking as a cyclist as well as someone who walks/runs, I have to say that emphatically as I ring the bell on my bike it appears to be inaudible to anyone walking in front, so I usally slow down and shout, 'Ring ring.' Which makes me look/sound rather stupid, but it's better than giving a walker some kind of seizure.
Pedestrians may hate cyclists on footpaths but on the other hand, it is jolly annoying when you're cycling on a designated cycle path to have pedestrians barrelling determinedly down that, which they are, frequently.
Posted: Thu 21st Sep 2006, 15:59
and cyclists on footpaths
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Wed 20th Sep 2006, 21:32
Local Group: Mid Wales
Cyclists without bells are my pet hate. Walking along a lane, head down, into the wind, I can't hear them coming up behind me, and then WHOOSH they whizz past, frightening the living daylights out of me. Why can't they TING a bell? Its the sort of noise that cuts through 'windrush' and gives a bit of a warning. Aaah!!! that feels better. I've been wanting to rant about that for ages!!!!! Jane
Posted: Wed 20th Sep 2006, 20:17
and Roma Lead`s
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Mon 18th Sep 2006, 23:34
Local Group: Merseystride
... and tin mugs that rattle on rucksacks ...

... the mobile phone is Ok for me. I loved getting enquiries from relatives on the 100 asking how I was doing, plus the messages of encouragement...

G
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Tue 12th Sep 2006, 21:43
Local Group: Mid Wales
Walking poles with the points above waist height - usually flailing about when crossing stiles, lethal.
GPS, takes the fun out of getting lost, and to be honest I quite enjoy being lost, I have to the ammount of times it occurs.
Mobile phones, I don't carry one on walks (I don't own one) but using one for any other reason than a dire emergency......no, no, no.
Walkers with enormous rucksacs, I can't get to grips with what on earth is in them, it really aggravates me !!
Matt.
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Tue 12th Sep 2006, 21:33
Local Group: Cumbria
On our 3 Rings of Shap walk this year we had both a mass and staggered starts.Choice was optional but staggered was recommended because of 7 stiles in the first mile.Despite this 2/3 of the field opted for the mass start.
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Tue 12th Sep 2006, 21:01
Local Group: Heart of England
Why do so many events have mass starts when everyone hates them?
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Sun 10th Sep 2006, 18:36
Local Group: London
I too have been followed into the bushes! Not only that, but the (male) walker involved was bellowing, 'No, you've taken the wrong fork!' so everyone within earshot knew what I was up to.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Sun 10th Sep 2006, 18:07
Local Group: Marches
I can concurr with the tapping of walking poles and the noise of someone elses conversation drowning the bird-song. This is the reason I hate events with a non negotiatble mass start as it takes ages for the field to thin out and if your like me and prefer to hear the wind in your ears and the birds in the trees rather than the droll of someone yacking behind you, it can be a real pain. On this years hundred it took nearly thirty miles for the field to thin sufficiently to even be able to dash to the loo without embarrassment, and some fellow walker following you into the bushes!!Having said that - I do enjoy conversations with fellow walkers, its just that some people don't come up for air!!
Posted: Sun 10th Sep 2006, 16:47
I like that Garfield, sounds like technology at its best and mankind at it`s mercy.

I might be old fashioned but for me traditional navigation is a joy and an integral part of my enjoyment of wild places.

Another pet hate (which i dont think will suprise you is a mobile phone) being used in wild places for anything other than an emergency.

Yes i do carry one but never switched on.

john
Posted: Sun 10th Sep 2006, 11:59
You have a good point, John, and one I have a good example of. We were camping in Wasdale recently and went for a meal in the Wasdale Head Inn (excellent food and gigantic portions btw!). A couple of people with Sky Sports jackets and tee-shirts were sitting nearby, something to do with a sponsored event. Later, after the pub had stopped serving food, another pair arrived looking somewhat flustered. They had used an in-car navsat on the post code of the Inn and had been directed to Langdale, thence to take the path over Esk Hause !! In a 4x4 ? They were left with a very long way round.
Garfield
Posted: Sat 9th Sep 2006, 19:25
I could still use the stars at night if need be (i dont have/ can`t afford a rolex so unable to comment on that as i never wear a watch of any desciption), and that gives me a lot more confidence than having to be dependant on electronics it also does away with the need to carry spare batteries on multi day trips .

Don`t get me wrong Gps has a purpose but it is not for me, and probably not for the driver towing a caravan into a narrow lakeland lane which he subsequently found was not wide enough, but the GPS had told him it was the shortest route.

John
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 21:37
re the GPS sub-thread, I guess the same was said about the compass when first introduced. (ala Pythonesque Michael Palin... "Oh, I still prefer using the stars. Either that, or the sun shining on the face of my brand new Rolex". G

However, imagine the mess that could occur if the satelites were re-programmed ! Hikers walking off cliffs, cars ending up in canals! A good scenario for a James Bond movie. G
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 21:07
Rubbis generally
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 19:34
Local Group: Heart of England
And orange peel!!
Author: Merrian Lancaster
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 16:28
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
...oh and cups that have been dropped after a checkpoint...and banana skins
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 16:25
...and providing cups/mugs at checkpoints when it says "MUG MUST BE CARRIED" on the kit requirements..

oh I wish you hadn't got me thinking, I was having a gentle wind down to the day
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 16:22
...and wayward walking poles....especially at stiles
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 16:10
i use a Forerunner in conjunction with memory map for recording distances covered and rote taken, never used it for navigation.

Although i must confess to slavishly following a compass when the clag is down on moer than one occassion
Author: Ian Koszalinski
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 15:05
Local Group: High Peak
the day i put rubbers on my poles for tarmac and take them off for rough ground is the day i see walkers/runners change their footwear every time they encounter different terrain, anyway the tap tap tapping helps keep a rhythm same as yer old army boots whilst marching
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 14:41
I wouldn't put a GPS into the nuisance category. True, there are some who over-depend on them. Keep it in your rucksack and only use it when essential.

It does have other uses, such as recording fairly accurately your distance walked or telling you that the little blimp of a hill in the Glaramara region you are standing on is one of the Nuttall tops you are bagging !

Although, I must confess to following it slavishly across Middle Tongue on one particularly foul Fellsman.

Garfield
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 13:24
totally agree with all those sentiments and would like to add one of my pet hates,

People that shine torches straight into your face on night sections, wrecking your vision for several minutes.

Another is GPS, a compass/map has never let me down yet (just me reading it wrong)

john
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 12:57
I'm a fairly genial kind of guy but, apart from grouping, the other thing that annoys me on challenge walks are the loud talkers - walkers who try and hold a conversation when seperated by 100 ft. Inevitably they shout, sometimes into back-wind and this can carry their voices miles. You can hear them coming before you can see them !

Almost as bad as the tap-tap-tapping of un-rubbered walking sticks on tarmac...

Garfield

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law