Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - 2017 Hundred Route

Author: Phil Clarke
Posted: Fri 26th May 2017, 10:00
Local Group: Marches
Hi Simon, my copy does say v3.46, anyway it doesn't matter got it now thank you. See you tomorrow. :-)
Author: Simon Leck
Posted: Thu 25th May 2017, 18:08
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Hi Philip,

Are you sure you've downloaded the correct document. I've just checked and all the files (at the top of the page) are correct and show the event version. Note: this page also contains a link to the recce version as well.

Just to make sure you get the correct file, here is a direct link to the event pdf.

Simon.
Posted: Thu 25th May 2017, 11:41
Hi Simon, version 3.46 still says recce route, I take it that's just an oversight?
Posted: Sun 21st May 2017, 10:37
The permissive NYM100 route changes can be found here.
Author: Martin Callow
Posted: Thu 18th May 2017, 19:56
Local Group: Dorset
Simon

Many thanks for this. Looking forward to seeing it on the ground.

Martin
Posted: Thu 18th May 2017, 18:39
Hi Martin,

Yes, the 50K from Aqua3 is acceptable for the kit check.

Simon.
Author: Martin Callow
Posted: Thu 18th May 2017, 16:15
Bespoke map and the kit check - I'm assuming that the 1:50,000 using OS mapping and supplied by Aqua3 (and centred correctly south of Stape) is acceptable for the purposes of the kit check? It isn't actually supplied by OS. A number of us have bought this laminated map. I have the Explorer maps as well but I don't want to have to carry them on the day.
Posted: Thu 18th May 2017, 14:50
Hi Simon, I'm attempting to put the route onto a map but I can only find zoomable maps of the recce route, will there be similar maps of the main route? Cheers, looking forward to it.
Posted: Wed 17th May 2017, 19:49
Mike, you're right about the closing time slip - I should check what I'm publishing! Now fixed...
Author: David Wainwright
Posted: Wed 17th May 2017, 19:33
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
Hi Simon, that's really helpful thanks so much, just what I was looking for.

To others, gosh a pretty simple question was obviously not as simple as I thought. Indeed I too like a grid ref, but having that is only good if you have a duplicate of the participants maps held by the supporters, and as I am a stranger to those parts I didn't know if the 3G coverage was good enough to check OS maps on their phones etc on line. I addressed the post to "anyone" thinking that might be easier than loads of us potentially looking for the postcodes on line. I guessed someone might have already looked for them and might share!

Anyway, I hope everyone's prep is all going to plan, socks bought, torch batteries replaced etc etc, and I really look forward to sharing the marvellous experience, not to mention the beautiful countryside with everyone very soon!!
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Wed 17th May 2017, 19:22
Thanks Simon. I just looked, but I think the closing times in the table for some of the later checkpoints have slipped by a box. Am I right? For instance CP13 Stape actually closes at 0.25 Mon (not 0230 Mon as shown).
Posted: Wed 17th May 2017, 18:37
I've added a Supports' Information Page to the NYM 100 website.
Posted: Wed 17th May 2017, 18:15
I could not see the actual post codes of Village Hall Checkpoints on the NYM100 website, but if you really must have this information, generally all you need to do is google the specific village hall (I just did this for Hovingham ) and it should bring up the VH website with address and post code. This is how we obtained the post codes for most Checkpoints in Dorset last year..
Author: Bryan Thorpe
Posted: Wed 17th May 2017, 18:06
Local Group: North Yorkshire
Could not agree more Bill, but the original post requested Post Code details which is where I directed it.
If you prefer grid references then as it happens there are also grid references in the same place.
Must go need to complete my thesis on the link between map navigational skills and website navigational skills.
Author: Bill Lancashire
Posted: Wed 17th May 2017, 9:20
Local Group: South Wales
Surely Grid References are much better than Post Codes which only cover an area which can be quite large in rural places.
Posted: Tue 16th May 2017, 21:34
Hi Bryan, thanks for the reply. I could see which ones allow supporters, but unless I am being really thick (possible...in fact, likely!), there are only grid refs given, not postcodes?
Posted: Tue 16th May 2017, 21:17
If you look under Events / Annual 100 Mile Walk / 2017 North York Moors 100 / Event / Checkpoints this will bring up a list of checkpoints. If you enter each one it will specify which ones are supporters allowed and which ones no supporters allowed, there is also a post code.
Posted: Tue 16th May 2017, 19:25
Hi

This is probably on the website...and I am just not finding it....but has anyone got the postcodes for the Checkpoints which supporters are allowed to visit? Many thanks!
Author: Zoe Beale
Posted: Sun 14th May 2017, 14:33
Local Group: Heart of England
Okay, thanks!
The word "shortcut" is actually mentioned in the change log; that's where I got it from - so I assumed the distance would come down a little bit :-)
Cheers
Posted: Sun 14th May 2017, 13:16
We have not introduced "short cuts", what we have done is released the finalised route which includes part of the routes which are on private land with permission for the day only. These were not included in the recce route for the obvious reasons of not wanting recceing on the private with permission land. The 102 mileage has always been the anticipated final distance. Hundreds are rarely 100 miles in length but must always be at least 100 miles.
On behalf of organising committee.
Author: Zoe Beale
Posted: Sat 13th May 2017, 22:50
Local Group: Heart of England
Thank you for the timely arrival of the event route!
How is it still 102 miles when shortcuts have been introduced?!
Thanks
Posted: Fri 12th May 2017, 20:06
Hi Bill,

I've renamed the Self Clips in the GPX for clarity to say Self-Clip A, Self-Clip B etc, as this is what is going to be on the tally cards and is described in the route description.

Simon
Author: Dave Goodfellow
Posted: Fri 12th May 2017, 15:29
Bill,

From what I have seen the self clips are fairly obvious when on the ground (Assuming the same as marshals walk) and are a big red A4 sheet with a letter on it (A-E). I happened to see D on a recce walk. You won't miss them if you are on the route.

Dave
Author: Bill Lancashire
Posted: Fri 12th May 2017, 14:15
Local Group: South Wales
Hi Simon,

On the RD the Self-Clips are labelled: Self Clip A, Self Clip B, Self Clip C, Self Clip D, Self Clip E.
On the Self_Clips GPX they are labelled:SC01, SC02, SC03, SC05 and SC04 respectively.

Which of these corresponds to what will appear on the 'Tally Card' that we carry with us on the walk.

Bill.
Posted: Fri 12th May 2017, 7:28
Hi Andy,

Thanks for spotting that checkpoint 1 is in the wrong place. The GPX file should now be correct.

Simon.
Author: Andy Carpenter
Posted: Thu 11th May 2017, 21:45
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Hi Simon
Thanks for posting the final route info - that's great. Well done to your team for pulling this all together - looks good!
Just a quick query re the "Checkpoints" GPX... I think CP01 may be wrong, as it's in a different location to the one in the "Full Route" GPX. Looks like the "Full Route" CP01 is correct, but the "Checkpoints" CP01 is maybe in its recce/Marshalls location? (All the other CP's match up fine between both GPX-files.)
Cheers,
Andy
Posted: Thu 11th May 2017, 19:25
Folks,

The Official Event NYM 100 Route Description (v3.46) and GPX files are now online...

Simon.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Wed 10th May 2017, 0:00
Local Group: Surrey
Simon
Thank you. The event version gpx will enable me to identify the changes from the recce gpx and hence the recce RD.
On 'enjoying' a Hundred: I never have and I never expect to: I just get a great sense of satisfaction at having completed it. It's a matter the agony on one pan of the scale and the ecstasy on the other, though I have to say that the load of the agony seems to be getting excessive these days.

Madeleine
Yes, I remember muttering my way up that climb and being astonished to find a village at the top.
Author: Hazel Bound
Posted: Tue 9th May 2017, 14:31
Hi Simon
I need a larger print version of the route description but it seems to be locked so that I cant alter it.
Is it possible for me to enlarge, delete, add or change it for myself.
Hazel
Author: Mark Edwards
Posted: Tue 9th May 2017, 9:58
Local Group: Merseystride
It's not the hills that I'm worried about - it's the flat section across the Vale of Pickering at the end (obviously flat is unavoidable due to the geography here). I find flat sections very tiring on 90-mile legs which are far more comfortable with the variation of gait that results from undulating terrain. I remember the difficulty of the reservoir section on the Cant Canolbarth and the canal section on Valleys 100, and the sheer relief of an uphill after a long flat on the Games 100.
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Mon 8th May 2017, 22:11
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Elton (and everyone else!) - beware the climb up to Lockton. Given where it is, I found it really hard. Enjoy!
Posted: Mon 8th May 2017, 19:21
Elton,

If you follow this link you will be able to download a software upgrade from Microsoft which will allow earlier versions of word to open the newer docx format.

Yes, there will be an accompanying gpx file to the event version of the route description (RD).

There are a lot of minor differences between the latest version (3.46) of the route description- which will be released on Friday 12th.

It is unlikely I'll be able to produce a difference log between v3.46 and v3.45 - the differences will only be noticeable when you are walking the route and will not affect any pre planning. I am sorry but with working full time I have to concentrate my efforts on those tasks which will be crucial to the entrants enjoyment. If enjoyment is the correct term for walking the 100!!

Simon.
Posted: Sun 7th May 2017, 17:33
Can the final RD MSWord version be made available in .doc format rather than (or as well as) .docx format? My .docx to .doc converter can handle text only. The little meal icons in the RD would throw it into a tizz.

Will the final RD be accompanied by a final .gpx download?

And can you tell us somewhere on the website what the changes between current and final RDs are? Just the numbers of the revised paragraph would be enough.
Thanks
Posted: Sun 7th May 2017, 17:13
I completed a backpacking recce of the route last week, and found the following.
The hardest section is Stage 6, the climb out of Rosedale, 1380ft. The route gradually ascends on track, then climbs steeply out of the dale through the heather. Fortunately, this will be in daylight for most walkers. The next section, Botton to Glaisdale is 1230ft. This appears equally daunting, but is split into two. You climb out of Danby Dale, cross a moor, then descend into and climb out of Great Fryup Dale.

Stage 12, Littlebeck to Goathland has 1200ft ascent, but about 4/5ths of this is on road. This may cause purist eyebrows to rise, but at 68 miles in, I am more than happy to ascend 1000ft on tarmac rather than a boggy heather path.

The moorland section of Stage 13, Goathland to Stape is tricky, as noted in the RD, specifically para 13.5. This would be a good time to bring out the GPSr if you are carrying one.

The rest of the way is fairly unproblematic: a few steep climbs, but nothing too morale destroying.

It is a tough route, as shown by the marshal’s event completion times. Let’s hope the weather is dry.
Posted: Thu 4th May 2017, 13:22
Folks,

FYI... final route details will be released on the website on the 12th May.

Simon.
Posted: Wed 3rd May 2017, 11:44
From feedback we received while working on the Marshals' Walk last weekend, it is obvious that this a wonderful route but also potentially quite tough, even in good conditions. Let us all hope we get the similar excellent weather for the main event. But be prepared, and don't skimp on kit..
Author: Robert Powell
Posted: Tue 2nd May 2017, 12:43
With regard to the release of the final version of the route description, four of us are travelling up to Yorkshire from Dorset a week before leaving on Friday the 19th from when we will have no facility to print. Consequently, and appreciating the sensitivities of private land access, it is essential to us that the final version is available no later than Thursday the 18th.

Robert Powell
Posted: Thu 27th Apr 2017, 18:11
We'll know more after the marshals - but, we sent the marshals route description out a week before the event. We expect the do the same for the main event.

However, we're basically happy with the route and the recce route shows 99% of the route that will be used for the event.

The differences are two permissive parts. One at the beginning (at the request of a landowner) and one near the end (to reduce the mileage) both permissive bits parallel the rights of way.
Posted: Thu 27th Apr 2017, 13:40
Hi Simon

the website still talks about the final route being issued "in due course" and "to entrants only". Can you give some guidance on when that will be, and how it will be sent out (email, note via SI Entries maybe?)?

Not for any reccying, just mindful that marking the maps up will take a bit of time!

Many thanks

Dave

PS all the very best of luck to the intrepid Marshalls Event walkers this weekend. May the wind be behind you every step of the way!!
Posted: Thu 27th Apr 2017, 8:03
I should have added that the advantage of the AQUA3 1: 25000 sheet is that it has all most of the night section - probably two nights for me - and the moorland, at a scale that is easily readable. with the route overprinted in way that does not obscure the detail. And as Jeff has already said, the amount of work transferring the route description accurately onto a map is considerable and has been done for you. The underlying detail is better - the OS 1:25000 base is one of the best maps in the world.
Posted: Wed 26th Apr 2017, 13:39
For those of you who really like maps, a company called AQUA3.com have produced a bespoke centred 1: 50000 OS base (waterproof laminate) on one standard sheet - with the NYM 100 route and all the checkpoints specially marked (clear and legible).

They have also produced a bespoke standard sheet size 1:25000 OS base that has all the route north of Kirkbymoorside, which includes all the checkpoints and route between CP4 and CP14. Easy to read, waterproof, and clear to use. Ask for the NYM 100 1;2500 North Sheet.

I have found AQUA3 offer a good price and are reliable, good quality and fast delivery.
Author: Lisa Joanne Walbridge
Posted: Sat 22nd Apr 2017, 16:51
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
Hi Simon. Thanks for your reply. Really looking forward to the event. Lisa
Posted: Mon 17th Apr 2017, 19:19
Hi Lisa,

We're opening the checkpoints based on a 5mph average, which means you should be able to complete the event in around 24 hours.

Remember that LDWA events are not a race and whilst we welcome runners if you arrive at a checkpoint before it is open you will be expected to wait until the checkpoint officially opens.
Author: Lisa Joanne Walbridge
Posted: Sat 15th Apr 2017, 16:17
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
Hi Simon. Will there be just 2 start times - 10.00 and 12.00? I note that at last years Dorset event there seems to have been 10.00, 12.00, 14.00 and 15.00. I see that the fastest 2 runners completed the event in 21.27 and 22.17hrs. Do the opening times of CPs (particularly the mid section) allow this sort of pace? This will be my first 100 - I am not sure what pace I can achieve but I have previously completed 50 ish mile Challenge events between 09.00 and 10.30 hours. Looking forward to it. Thanks. Lisa Walbridge
Posted: Fri 14th Apr 2017, 18:05
Hi Simon

Thanks very much for getting back to me. This must be a mega busy time for you guys right now so sorry for troubling you with this.

The last few hundreds had closing times of 1700 for this distance, and I think that 1500 is just a bit too tight for me.

With a bit of early faffing about and a small wander as I get into the nav I am worried that I might miss the time.

Hopefully other slow joggers or trotters have seen this too.

I guess I can change the start time through SI entries?

Thanks again for getting back to me, really looking forward to it now!!

Best regards

Dave
Posted: Fri 14th Apr 2017, 8:35
Hi David,

We've decided to keep checkpoint 2 open until 15:00 hrs. This will give you three hours to do 10 miles. To be fair although there's 800ft of ascent in the first 10 miles, this section is reasonably flat, which just a couple of small climbs.

Simon.
Posted: Tue 11th Apr 2017, 21:41
Hi

This is a question about checkpoint closing times. I have noticed that the closing time for the second checkpoint, at around 10miles, is 1415.

By comparison the checkpoints at the same distance on the Red Rose and the Dorset 100s were both 1700.

I have currently gone for the 1200 start, but 2 1/4 hrs to do 10.2 miles and 800ft of climbing would be a bit swift for me right at the start! Can you clarify if I am reading this correctly as if so I would probably need to change my start time!!

Many thanks, really looking forward to enjoying a beautiful part of the country!!
Author: Jeff Campbell
Posted: Sun 9th Apr 2017, 22:32
I needed to order a NYM100 map and spoke to Mike, the owner of aqua3.com. He customised the map for me to show the 100 route and checkpoints. This has saved me many hours laboriously marking up the map and potentially making errors. Being laminated, the map is highly waterproof and is scaled to allow a mile each side of the route as required in the rules.

Only the recce route has been released at this stage but I understand there are only minor differences between it and the final route. For ordering purposes the reference to quote is NYM100_0. Alternatively, this will be updated once the final route is released. The cost of this customised version is the same as the site centred map.

Email: enquiries@aqua3.com
Telephone: 01433 621779

Jeff
Posted: Wed 15th Mar 2017, 18:45
Also, we managed to cobble together a route viewer showing the route using OS 1:50K maps...

Click here to see the route!
Posted: Wed 15th Mar 2017, 18:42
Thanks for all your feedback on Route Description...

I've been updating the Route Description using your findings and version 3.43 is now online.
Posted: Sun 5th Mar 2017, 17:18
FYI...

We've just added a route viewer to NYM 100 website, which shows the route on google earth / open street map.

See NYM 100 - GPX files for further details.
Posted: Sun 5th Mar 2017, 10:19
Hi David,

The right of way shown on the map doesn't reflect the path on the ground. Basically the route follows the Coast to Coast from the B1416 (Ruswarp Road) to to New May Beck farm.

A new footpath has been created that parallels the road from (NZ 907 040) to wall corner (NZ 905 039). It then follows the wall (field boundary on the map) to leave the foothpath that eventually ends up at John's Cross at (NZ 902 032 - marked as a BS on the map) to the road near New May Beck Farm (NZ 897 034).

All this should become clear when you walk the route.

I'll update the route description with this information in due course.
Author: Dave Clifton
Posted: Fri 3rd Mar 2017, 15:19
Local Group: Northumbria
I have a bit of a problem with 11.4 of latest version where I cannot work out from the OS map which track takes me from NZ907040 to NZ987034 as it seems to be one track on the description but the OS map depending what track either means what looks like a walk on the road or down a track and turn right to New May beck.
Posted: Tue 21st Feb 2017, 19:15
V3.40 of the route description is now available.

Changes include amendments to the start (stage 1) to remove the pinch point over the dual carriageway and just after breakfast (stage 11) to stop entrants from retracing the route back to Skerry Hall farm.
Posted: Fri 17th Feb 2017, 9:50
V3.39 of the route description is now available.

This versions contains amendments based on feedback I've received from entrants.
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Tue 31st Jan 2017, 13:02
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Thanks Simon (and route team) - starting to feel a bit more real now!
Posted: Mon 30th Jan 2017, 18:51
Reece Route information is now online...

Checkout the NYM 100 Web Site for further details.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law