Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Brocken Spectres & Inversions.

Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Mon 11th Sep 2006, 21:56
Local Group: London
Yes, the spectre is fantastic.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 11th Sep 2006, 21:37
Local Group: Mid Wales
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1174338/1/54882904/Small

This is John Fleetwoods site of photos on smugmug. In this short series if you scroll through there is an inversion and a spectre. Matt.
Author: Anne Wade
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 19:24
Local Group: Heart of England
Best inversion I've experienced was on New Years Day 2000 on Pen Y Fan etc in the Brecon Beacons. A glorious day on the tops with plenty of firework remains!
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 14:34
Local Group: Merseystride
Spot on, John. Here's a picture I Googled - it even has a BS of two people at the bottom! ...
http://www.mountaindays.net/gallery/image.php?id=4&pic=9

I really do need to get my act together and get the Gallery updated.

Does anyone have some cool photos ?

Garfield
Author: John King
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 9:53
An inversion Happens when the air temperature increases with altitude which effectively holds the surface air, Clouds down, therefore you find yourself above the clouds with summits but no valley bottoms on veiw, marvellous it is to behold.

I stand to be corrected.

John
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 9:21
Local Group: London
Please help the ignorant. What's an inversion?
Author: John King
Posted: Fri 8th Sep 2006, 9:17
I have seen quite a lot of inversions, but one of the most unexpected was on Whittbarrow Scar when doing Thats Lythe a couple of years ago a true vision of beauty.

Brocken Spectre like garfield in the Kentmere area coming off Ill Bell Exactly as garfields description I didn`t find it errie just intriguing.

John
Author: Garfield Southall
Posted: Thu 7th Sep 2006, 23:41
Local Group: Merseystride
I have seen one Brocken Spectre and several inversions. The former was off Thornthwaite Crag in the lakes - incredibly eerie. Very peaceful; just this strange shadow with a rainbow halo, which raised its arm when I did.

Best Inversion was when climbing Tryfan - the whole of the Ogwen valley was a river of cloud, all the way back to Bethesda.

I'm sure I have photos of both these but no idea where at present.
Garfield
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Thu 7th Sep 2006, 22:43
Local Group: Mid Wales
So who has actually seen either, and where?
Inversions we have seen, best about 4 years back climbing up from Llangynog (on the Berwyn mountain route, but not on the event). It was a classic inversion, we could have walked across on the cloud.
We have never seen a Brocken Spectre, has anyone else been so lucky as to see one - and photograph it?

I have seen a photo on John Fleetwods 'smugmug' site somewhere. Along with the astounding photos of his winter Ramsay round etc. Matt.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law