Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - The 32nd Two Crosses

Author: Mark Wild
Posted: Mon 14th Nov 2016, 11:59
Local Group: West Lancashire
Thanks guys, I think I'll give the longer route a try. It sounds like part of the route (Greens Arms Road) progresses the opposite way to the Anglezarke Amble, alongside Turton Heights on that invisible, bumpy path (I'm selling this well aren't I? :) ). So on the day if I'm already knackered by Checkpoint 4 I can just go on to the 17 mile version, sounds good to me.
Author: Paul Wadsworth
Posted: Sun 13th Nov 2016, 15:40
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi Mark,
As Peter has said, you can decide on the day when you get to the cut off point (grid ref (719169) as to whether you feel up to the 25 mile route or prefer the 17mile route.

If you have a GPS with mapping capability and search on the Long distance paths tab on the LDWA website you can download a GPX file (or equivalent) to look at the route in detail for the 25 mile route. The file might not be the latest route but is a very close approximation. From the cut off point the 17 mile route goes immediately to CP4 at grid ref 721172.

If you want more information, including a route description, then please email me at secretary.eastlancs@ldwa.org.uk.

I hope to see you in March.

Regards

Paul Wadsworth
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Thu 10th Nov 2016, 22:39
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi Mark

I have asked a couple of folks in the East Lancs group to see if they can help you.

I've done the longer route a few times, but I have never done the shorter route, although I know where the two separate.

Here is a link to a map that shows the longer route.

https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Two+Crosses+Circuit

On the day, when you reach a particular checkpoint, the marshals ask if you are doing the long or the short. You can decide on the day, at the checkpoint, so you will get a feeling for how you are feeling, and the time etc.

If you zoom in on the link to the map, I *think* the option occurs at Green Arms Road (may be mistaken...?) but if it does, then you drop down to the checkpoint at the Dam Wall by the Turton and Entwistle Reservoir with copious amounts of food and sustenance...

If you continue on the long route, you climb up to Turton Heights, and it can be a bit rough for a short period (a mile or so) before dropping down to the road crossing and the next checkpoint.

From memory, good tracks lead you round to the famous feeding station checkpoint - where you would have landed had you taken the shorter route.

From here, good tracks and a few lanes take you round Bull Hill, where you will encounter the Naughty Corner (Nuff said...?).

Finally, a skip along the Holcombe Moor to Holcombe Tower, before descending (quite steeply, and a tad slippy in the wet...) through Radisher Woods to the penultimate checkpoint just off Bolton Road.

After passing through Greenmount, all that remains is to stagger along the old disused railway line, back to the Laurel Centre for even better food than was on offer at the Dam Wall by the Turton and Entwistle Reservoir...

Hope this helps, and if not, someone else should come along soon with more ideas.

Regards

Peter
Author: Mark Wild
Posted: Mon 7th Nov 2016, 14:03
Local Group: West Lancashire
Does anyone happen to have a route map or in-depth walk description for the Two Crosses? I am trying to judge if I should enter the 17 or 25 mile event. I know that the time limit is 9 hours but a bit of a description of where we are going would help me ascertain whether I could finish the 25 miles route in time. The event's site https://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_events/show_event.php?event_id=17009 really doesn't give enough info about it.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law