Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Two types of members ?

Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Tue 13th Sep 2016, 13:50
Local Group: East Lancashire
I've been a walker all my post-teenage years. I've done between 20 and 30 LDPs, many 100s of named and un-named 10-20 mile day walks, a few 25-30 mile challenge walks, 5 (non LDWA) 100kms and one completed (!) LDWA 100-miler. On a scale from 'independent trails' (1) to 'timed challenges' (7) I would put myself at about (3), that is, predominantly a trail walker but prepared to 'gear up' (or should that be 'down' ?) for infrequent day or long-day challenge events.

How typical is this of the LDWA membership ? Are people mostly 'trail' or 'social' walkers who don't do challenge walks (but might still help out on them), or mostly 'eventers' who don't normally do named trails but might still turn out for (or even lead) social walks ?

If you do both, does that mean two sets of gear or accessories (daypack plus food & water plus waterproofs .... to .... ultra-light pack, emergency rations and not much else) ? If you're between (1) and (3) on the above scale, do the (4-7) ers sometimes seem to be 'running away' with what should be enjoyable day walks (the 'clockwork mouse' syndrome) ? Or if you're between (4) and (7), do (1-3) ers seem unreasonably slow ('back-mark plodders'), 'holding you up' from maintaining your hard-attained speed and times ?

Are you a trail walker (1) or challenge eventer (7) ? Or somewhere inbetween (1 ... 7) ?

Iain.

No 'walkers vs runners' or 'non-sport vs sport' diatribes, please (boring, we've been there). Not a proper survey, either, just a start point for discussion.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law