Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Leg Cramps: why and, more important, what to do

Posted: Wed 30th Aug 2017, 13:33
likewise - I just posted on the topic relating to drinks. Magnesium is worth a try
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Fri 16th Sep 2016, 11:54
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Hi John,
Read my post under Drinks On Walks !
Might be worth a try !!
Regards Roy.
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Fri 5th Aug 2016, 17:56
Local Group: London
Have you thought of post exercise massage? Something like 'The Stick' or a foam roller?
Author: John Roberts
Posted: Fri 5th Aug 2016, 10:31
Local Group: South Wales
Thanks for these replies. I will continue experimenting with the self-help approach. Roll on autumn!
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Mon 1st Aug 2016, 12:31
Local Group: East Lancashire
After a recent inner-thigh cramp incident I looked online, also finding no clear advice on causes and treatment. Years (now decades!) ago I carried small salt tablets which seemed to help for cramp and fluid depletion, but I now sweat much less, and could not find replacements.

These days the many electrolyte replacement fluids and gels appear to have replaced sodium chloride, and may be a safer strategy (as a whole the British diet is excessively high in salt), but they're expensive. In the spring to autumn months I now carry a diluted fruit juice solution with a small amount of salt and a dollop of honey, which I found online. On the cramp-incident day it was warm and humid, and I think I hadn't added enough salt, but still wouldn't go beyond a quarter-teaspoon.*

I sometimes get post-walk lower-leg and feet cramps after warm days. Having seen race cyclists doing a post-event 'warm-down' on exercise bikes, it seems like a good idea to keep moving or stretching at the end of a walk, as well as before starting. An extra gentle quarter-mile without rucksack, perhaps.

Iain

* Half a coffee mug each of orange juice, cranberry or pomegranate juice. Half a lemon, squeezed. Two dessert spoonfuls honey. Maximum of quarter teaspoon of salt (vary according to weather forecast). Dissolve honey and salt in quarter mug boiled water, let cool, add juices, add to cold water to make two litres (adjust proportions for smaller total), refrigerate.
Author: Jill King
Posted: Mon 1st Aug 2016, 10:10
Local Group: North Yorkshire
I always found that having access to crisps or mini cheddars , that is anything slightly salty was sufficient for 25 miles. Event organisers should always provide some savoury food at checkpoints to help walkers who need that extra bit of salt to stave off cramps.
Author: John Roberts
Posted: Sun 31st Jul 2016, 21:38
Local Group: South Wales
I occasionally get night cramps, but, more concerning, sometimes after walks. I had two excruciating episodes recently, on exceptionally hot days while preparing a walk. Until now I have found Crampex (over-the-counter) tablets an effective remedy. But they are no longer made. The pharmacist recommends quinine tonic water but with no idea of how much or when to take it. A locum GP almost shrugged in a combination of indifference and ignorance, but prescribed quinine tablets; however the guidance notes don't inspire confidence as they are directed at people who have regular cramps.

I've looked at lots of websites to learn that cramps are little understood, it's all complicated.

Do other members have suggestions about what might help, based on experience? Right now I am avoiding summer walking, though I know that sweating and fluid balance are not necessarily the problem.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law