Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Website Development - Social Walks info

Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Fri 17th Jun 2016, 10:37
Local Group: East Lancashire
I had thought that there already were a 'minimum set' of social walk descriptors, which included start place, start GR, start time and overall distance. I'm surprised that start time and distance, for example, could be missed, so maybe there is a need for a standard preset for uploads. What it would contain (ascent and difficulty could be additional factors) might be one for John's successor as Local Groups Secretary, along with the various groups' Walk Secretaries.

I don't think establishment of a minimum expectation for walk leaders is unreasonable, only that it shouldn't be too prescriptive and leaves room for leaders' discretion. A balance, therefore, of standard presets and other information, in order that new(er) members might be encouraged to attempt longer distances or more ascents. It doesn't necessarily need GPS (plus or minus 10% for distance, 20% for ascent ?) but it should surely include at least one recce.

Iain
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Thu 16th Jun 2016, 17:58
Local Group: East Yorkshire
It's an interesting concept that more details (in Strider/web sites) should be provided of a programmed walk, so that new or fledgling long distance walkers may have more idea of what to expect before they attempt it and that this procedure would then entice more and younger walkers to join us.

In the posts, the degree of walk detail mentioned is extensive and in my experience it is often difficult to attract walk leaders and such an outlined work load (ascent, terrain, stated difficulty against a projected LDWA "standard" etc) may scare some off; also, not all leaders have GPS (and indeed some do not recce all walks). I have encountered missing start times, GRs, distance, map reference etc in submissions for publication.
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Tue 31st May 2016, 13:12
Local Group: East Lancashire
A suggestion from John Page regarding additional 'presets' for social walk entries, which might include total ascent, degree of difficulty or type of terrain, as well as distance. In order to enable judgement about what can be expected on a social walk, particularly for new or newer members.

See

LDWA ideas forum -> Barriers to recruitment! (last entry 17th May 2016)

Iain

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law