Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - LDWA Web page header photos

Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Wed 6th Apr 2016, 17:54
Local Group: London
I've always wondered about the location of several of the photos that appear at the top of the LDWA web page, especially the one of the lane climbing onto the moors with a series of dry stone walled fields on the left. From the limestone walls, I'd always guessed that it was Yorkshire & I have spent some time in the past trying to identify it on maps but without success. That is until Julia Bradbury's programme last Friday (1/4/16) on ITV, when a brief shot showed what I was sure was the location. Subsequent checking would seem to confirm my guess that it is Hawthorns Lane, Goredale Scar. This is the lane that extends to the east from the end of the road that leads up to the Gordale Scar path.
I'm not sure what decides which of the collection of photos is displayed upon visiting this LDWA web site, but once here, hitting the key F5 causes a redisplay with a different, random photo displayed. It took me about 30 F5's to get to the photo in question.
We are enjoying Julia's latest series but our one concern is that she describes the walks as being suitable for families and only a few miles in length. However, a lot of the walks are linear and her estimation of time & distance only refer to the outward leg, so the full walk would in reality be at least twice the length & twice the distance in order to get back to the starting point. For example, her High Cup Nick walk was described as being 4 miles in length, but this only got her to High Cup Nick. No mention of now being a long way from the start at a high altitude and having to walk all the way back.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law