Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Ruggedized tablet or phablet - any recommendations?

Author: Helen Abbott
Posted: Sat 7th Jan 2017, 13:53
Local Group: Thames Valley
Results of my own experimentation are that I tried a £170 Samsung Xcover 3 Value Edition which is supposed to be ruggedised but after being dropped a short distance indoors which did not cause any sign of physical damage, it stopped working. The local repair centre tried to repair it and found they could not get the replacement part, and Samsung were unable to replace it with the same model. The cause of the failure was the motherboard. I do see from their marketing that they mention water and dust resistance and are less specific about resistance to being dropped but on the other hand they do say "Enjoy peace of mind in any conditions" and mention ski slopes and building sites. The repair centre suspected it was a fault rather than a design issue though.

A CAT type phone or an ordinary budget phone with a ruggedised case would seem to be the other options.
Author: David Sawdon
Posted: Sat 30th Jul 2016, 16:14
Local Group: Wessex
In case anyone else is interested, I opted for a cheap'ish Galaxy Tab Active from eBay and have been very pleased.
Author: David Sawdon
Posted: Mon 14th Mar 2016, 12:22
Local Group: Wessex
Can anyone recommend a ruggedized android tablet or "phablet"?
I've been using MemoryMap on my Galaxy Note4 phone so have been spoilt for screen size but it's a pain having the phone in a waterproof pouch and I worry about dropping it. There seem to be a few ruggedized tablets and phablets out there so I assume that some members have experimented ... ?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law