Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Pacer poles - a recommendation

Author: Stuart Dodson
Posted: Tue 21st Nov 2017, 20:28
Local Group: Lincolnshire
Although I think I used two regular poles pretty correctly I now have the Pacerpoles they do get a bit of getting used to but for me they are beneficial. Used correctly the do make you walk more upright which has to be good and you naturally look about you more.ihave had them a three months and completed he North Downs Way and the Arran Coastal Path. I use them to erect my Tarptent Notch. ihave now comleted all the GB national trails.
No link with the supplier.
Author: Stuart Dodson
Posted: Tue 21st Nov 2017, 20:27
Local Group: Lincolnshire
A recent convert to Pacerpoles, the advantages to me were a more upright body position/better posture; more awareness of terrain and a slight increase in pace; easy to keep the correct pole height. They do take a bit of time to get used to; but worth it for me.I have had them about three months now and completed the North Downs Way and the Arran Coastal path with them. I did get the lightest poles on offer.

As well as doing other trails I have now completed all the GB National trails so have done a bit of walking
Author: Peter Engledow
Posted: Fri 30th Sep 2016, 13:00
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Thought I would add to the noise on Pacerpoles. I was sceptical about these sticks but took the plunge and for me they work very well. Not the lightest to be sure, but the angled grip, balance and support of the things are a real treat for an old feller's back. Only available online I think so see if you can bump into someone who has them and give them a go.
Author: John Walker
Posted: Tue 15th Mar 2016, 20:50
Local Group: Wiltshire
Just wanted to add my support to David's recommendation for Pacer Poles. I have used them for about six years and they are far and away better than any other poles that I had previously tried.

On longer walks, especially 100s, my back tends to bend to one side - so I end up imitating a drunken crab. Without my Pacer Poles to correct this affliction, I would not have managed to finish some of these long events.
I can't recommend Pacer Poles high enough.
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Fri 11th Mar 2016, 20:23
Local Group: East Lancashire
Not a quiver or pouch, but my rather old Berghaus daypack has two sets of loops at the rear bottom and two velcro straps up top. The pole's ferrule (rubber tip) holds in the lower end, the velcros the upper. The pack predates walking poles, so presumably they were intended for ski-poles, but they (one side's velcro has weakened so I've swapped) do the job. Not reach-behind access, but only a half-minute to stash or retrieve.

The problem with carrying pole(s) is not the means of fastening but their length, which, if not shortened (or short enough when furled), tend to catch on overhead obstacles such as low branches. My first pole nearly brought me off Sharp Edge when it slipped down behind me and snagged on the narrow ledge off which I had just stretched - always stored furled after that, if not vertically then horizontally under the pack flap (which doesn't work for narrow gaps either, unless very short).

Iain
Author: David Sawdon
Posted: Thu 10th Mar 2016, 10:30
Local Group: Wessex
For many years I tried a range of walking poles and just found them annoying and intrusive without providing any significant benefit. A while ago I was persuaded (after seeing the endorsements on the website) to buy some Pacer Poles. They are amazing! The only difference between regular poles and Pacer poles is the shape of the grip, but the difference that makes is astonishing, especially for powering up hills.

One thing that would be very useful is a quiver or pouch to store poles out of the way and so they can easily and quickly be pulled out when needed and then stashed when not needed. Is there anything available or do I need to get inventing?

The usual disclaimers: no connection, etcetera etcetera ... I'm just a satisfied customer.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law