Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Can MemoryMap maps be converted to Satmap format?

Author: David Sawdon
Posted: Fri 11th Mar 2016, 18:21
Local Group: Wessex
With the map issues, and having now seen how small the Garmin 6xx screens are compared to my Samsung Galaxy Note4 phone, I'll investigate whether there's a waterproof and ruggedized Android tablet (or "phablet" - yeuk!) with a 4-6" screen and that supports GPS and GLONASS, then I can install MM or MMtracker on it and use the existing maps. I can't be the first to tread this path so I'll start another thread.
Author: Simon Leck
Posted: Fri 11th Mar 2016, 10:30
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Garmin and memory map allow you to create Custom Maps if you have access to an image file of the map and know the calibration points of the corners of the map, but this normally a lot of work and is quite tricky to do. Therefore is best biting the bullet any buying the maps.

Sat Map don't provide this facility.
Posted: Thu 10th Mar 2016, 17:39
I was afraid of that - this map format issue is a real pain!

Since asking about the Active10 I've become slightly more tempted by the Garmin Oregon 6xx range, but it seems that this will have the same map incompatibility problem.

A thought: I can print MemoryMaps to PDF and then convert those to almost any graphic format. Do the Satmap or Garmin GPS units come with software that can be used to scan and register paper maps? If so it should be possible to import via that, slightly convoluted, route.
Author: Simon Leck
Posted: Thu 10th Mar 2016, 16:23
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Unfortunately no. They use different proprietary images formats.
Posted: Mon 7th Mar 2016, 20:20
I'm tempted to start moving over from MemoryMap on the phone to a Satmap Active, but I've got a lot of MM maps on the phone - is there any way to convert them so they can be used on a Satmap device?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law