Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Diet and endurance events

Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Tue 23rd Feb 2016, 21:14
Local Group: Sherwood
Thanks for posting that - I found the programmes fascinating (despite the somewhat frustrating lack of conclusions). I have been reflecting recently on the ways in which diet and/or a training regime might impact on one's ability to walk events such as the 100, so this was all grist to the mill. I get the general impression that on the whole LDWA members take a fairly laid back approach to these things - they walk lots of miles but otherwise don't get fanatical about preparation through diet or other sorts of training, but by any standards 100 miles (or even 50) is a demanding event, so perhaps we would benefit from taking these things more seriously.
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Fri 12th Feb 2016, 15:05
Local Group: East Lancashire
A two-part edition of Radio 4's Food Programme titled 'Can you eat to run ?' and 'Eating to Run', recently aired in response to marathon and 40-miles-per-week runner Nicole Marais's request for info and advice. Available on iPlayer and as MP3/Podcasts (variable volume quality).

Includes ultra-marathon (100+ miles) eventer Scott Jurek, Kenyan and Japanese runners. Ranges from high-carb to low-carb, high-fat and protein to low-fat, (low) meat to vegan, fresh to fermented (and years-old yoghurt). Of interest to both runners and those of us who either part-run or don't.

It's interesting and informed, but there doesn't (yet ?) seem to be a consensus on what works best, or for whom. What is certain is that diet has a large part to play in performance on endurance events. (And no mention of fry-up breakfasts.)

Iain

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law