Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Local Groups - New member

Author: John Phillips
Posted: Mon 25th Jan 2016, 6:47
Local Group: East Yorkshire
You will certainly not be the first ex runner to join our group walks. Many group members are former marathon runners who enjoy the new challenge. Most say the thing they find difficult at first is the amount of time they spend on their feet .
John
Author: Lizzie Medwell
Posted: Fri 22nd Jan 2016, 21:15
Local Group: Nidderdale
I've just joined as hope to start walking again having, reluctantly, decided to hang up my running shoes due to recurring Achilles' problem. I need a new challenge as running has enabled me to keep relatively sane and walking seems to be OK.

The 3 Peaks planned as soon as days get a bit longer, but I need further challenges and am looking forward to being inspired by my local LDWA group(s).

Looking forward to joining you on a walk soon! :-)
Author: Andy Todd
Posted: Fri 22nd Jan 2016, 18:51
Local Group: Wiltshire
Jennifer,

As John has said groups walks are turn up and walk as a group. Just make sure you are ready to go for the advertised start time. Like all LDWA groups we depart on time.

Wiltshire weekend walks tend to stop for lunch close to a pub, with most people eating what they have brought with them and possibly popping into the pub afterwards.

Any questions please ask. Hope to see you on a walk.

Andy
Wiltshire Walks Sec
Author: Jennifer Earlam
Posted: Thu 21st Jan 2016, 21:55
Thankyou so much for your kind responses. I have done two walking marathons (training for number 3) and think the LDWA will be just the ticket for keeping the miles in my legs in future years! My walking buddies and I are really looking forward to attending the group walks very soon.
Author: Debbie Hayes
Posted: Wed 20th Jan 2016, 19:30
Local Group: Kent
Author: Debbie Hayes
Posted: Wed 20th Jan 2016, 19:30
Local Group: Kent
Hi,

I too am a new member (well, ive been registered for about two years, but not joined in with anything). This year I am planning to start getting involved, im very determined to complete the 2018 Kent 100! I have done 2 100k walks and am looking forward to doing more. I have 2 questions however 1) im in kent, does anyone know anywhere local to me that do navigation training? That's with map and compass and also garmin 10 GPS? 2) can anyone recommend a good ladies waterproof jacket? I have a couple that I don't get along with and would welcome any suggestions.

Thank you! :0)
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Wed 20th Jan 2016, 17:17
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Hi Jennifer,
Welcome to the LDWA. You will not have to pay anything to go on a group walk. Depending on the group you walk with, you may or may not get the opportunity to buy a pub lunch on the way round. All group walks, and indeed all groups are run by volunteers. You merely have to turn up on the day and have a good walk at a sociable pace. All group walks are done at the pace of the leader, but don't worry, nobody gets left behind. You may enjoy it so much you end up volunteering for a role yourself, maybe as a walk leader.
Challenge walks are an altogether different experience where you have to self navigate through a series of checkpoints, occasionally being fed and watered to keep you going. There is normally a fee for a challenge walk and you often get a certificate on completion.
Don't forget that an LDWA member can walk with any group. You are not limited to your nominated group.
Hope you find membership as rewarding as I have.
John
Author: Jennifer Earlam
Posted: Tue 19th Jan 2016, 11:46
Delighted to become a member having previously done two moonwalk marathon walks and in training for the Bathbeat.. Having membership to LDWA will be a way to keep my long distance walking going ..and having group walks and challenges will be perfect. My SIL (one of my waking buddies) has also recently joined and we are looking to take part in out first group walk asap. I've had a quick look at the website and decided on the 'Tetbury and villages' 18 mile walk.. So was wondering... Do you have to download an entry form to post or is there a way of booking and paying on line for walks? Thanks

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law