Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - South Pennine 24

Author: John Phillips
Posted: Mon 5th Dec 2016, 16:27
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Event is almost full. Ideally we would like the few remaining places to go to LDWA members. If you want to enter, please act sooner rather than later.
Posted: Thu 7th Jul 2016, 7:43
Just a reminder that entries for the 2017 event (25th Feb) open on 1st August. We expect to sell out fairly quickly. Full details in new Strider out shortly.
Author: Carmel Keary
Posted: Wed 2nd Mar 2016, 22:44
Local Group: North Yorkshire
Thank you John , checkpoint marshals not forgetting those wonderful folk back at base for a superb albeit challenging but wonderful South Pennine event. The buffet and welcoming folk at checkpoints was amazing, what a variety of delicious food at every single checkpoint, hot drinks at checkpoint one was extremely welcoming and totally unexpected. Having parts of the route flagged across the moor was really helpful, flattening those mountains for next year would be even more helpful :) Thank You
Posted: Tue 1st Mar 2016, 14:07
Results now available at www.ldwa.org.uk/southpennine
Author: Aaron Hookway
Posted: Mon 29th Feb 2016, 21:39
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Looks like i missed a cracker! Well doen Sth Pennine Group

Pencilled in for 2017

Aaron
Posted: Mon 29th Feb 2016, 19:55
Some cracking pictures Nick. Thanks to everyone for positive feedback. We are still buzzing.
Author: Nick Ham
Posted: Mon 29th Feb 2016, 12:37
Local Group: South Manchester
25% no shows is a surprise on such a nice weekend. I suppose for simplicity, next year you could overbook by 20 and see how that goes?
Many thanks to South Pennine group for organising this. I've never done an event in this area so I jumped at the chance when I saw it listed. It was very enjoyable it its own challenging way and so friendly and well supported. The weather was perfect too.
I took loads of pictures on the way round. If anyone's interested I put them on Flickr here.
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Mon 29th Feb 2016, 8:46
Local Group: Sherwood
The "etiquette" in connection with not turning up on the day is going to vary from event to event - the organiser of a large event that takes entries on the day may not be bothered about knowing exactly who isn't going to turn up, so I don't think you can have a one-size-fits-all policy on this. Organisers who would like to know about no-shows should make this clear in the event description or confirmation or entry, and give clear details of how to contact them if you want to tell them you are not able to come.

Organisers to whom numbers are particularly important could perhaps send round a blanket email to entrants a week before the event, reminding them about the event generally and asking to be told if they have decided not to come.

It is also perfectly feasible to run a waiting list, so that when an organiser gets told that someone who has entered isn't going to come the place can be offered to someone on the waiting list. However, this involves more work for the organiser, so it can't automatically be assumed that organisers will want to do this.

At the end of the day, though, a certain proportion of no-shows will be such last-minute decisions that telling the organiser won't be particularly helpful - this applies in particular to no-shows on account of bad weather, but also where people are ill on the day (or someone in the family is ill, or the car won't start, or whatever).
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Sun 28th Feb 2016, 17:06
Local Group: Staffordshire
Thank you South Pennine for a well organised event. The route description was spot on - and flags placed at key points to stop walkers missing a turn. Lucky with the weather so we could appreciate that views on the route. Thank you c/pointers - for supporting us in the cold weather - we were very well supported - even though I was towards the back the c/points were overflowing with lots of goodies - c/point 1 made me laugh - up on the tops being offered a cup of coffee [and very gladly accepted]. Good views/interesting walk and great/delicious pie at the end.

25% 'no shows' was shocking - regarding the 'no shows' and views expressed in this 'chain' - it would be shame to use 'pricing' to act as a deterrent to 'casual' rather than 'serious' entries - but we do need to deter folks from just 'entering' but then 'deciding' later. Some points to stir the debate:

1. At the moment if you let an 'organiser' know you cannot join the walk - then that does not compute into someone else being able to attend. [I know because I did this once because of an injury - I did not want my entry fee back - but it would have been nice it someone else could have enjoyed the walk]. The 'replacement' person can still pay the fee. I do very muchI appreciate that organising all the entries for an event is a lot - but with the internet at our disposal - is it possible to find a way of being a bit more flexible - and then we can encourage folks to let organisers' know in advance if they cannot attend - and then invite 'late entries' - or organisers could keep a 'reserve' list.

2. Maybe we could make 'no shows' think!! Begin a 'culture' that just not showing up is 'not the right behaviour' - its very very selfish really [some will be for genuine reasons - stuff happens]. Make folks feel slightly uncomfortable. We could have posters at events - that remind folks of this - like a 'code of conduct' - or a page in Strider as a reminder - at the start of the challenge event section.

Anyway - South Pennine - thank you for everything you did in preparation and 'on the day' - The South Pennine 24 was indeed a success - and its definitely on my 'do again' list!
Author: Wendy Leete
Posted: Sun 28th Feb 2016, 15:57
Local Group: North Yorkshire
Hi John and South Pennine team - great day. Thank you all so much for putting on a great first event. Absolutely fabulous - the weather helped of course.
Just adding to your comments - I think people enter because they want to and sometimes on the day it is just not possible. It would be good if those that can't attend, once entered, could let organisers know - may help with planning numbers? There are always some that don't turn up on the day...perhaps increase the limit of entries but still have no entries on the day. When I spoke to LDWAers that I often walk with some weren't aware of the event, but I think next year - when everyone gets to know of such a great route, with good food, and lots of pleasantries you'll be
un-indated.
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Sun 28th Feb 2016, 9:41
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Great event John - thanks very much. It's a shame if the event is full and you turn people away only to find that they could have done it after all. Perhaps you should just accept even more entries over the magic 100. I wonder what would have happened in bad weather? Yes it was cold early in the morning, but generally a good day. I personally am not a fan of having entries on the day. I wouldn't want to travel on the off chance of getting in. And I think it makes it harder for you as an organiser to plan how much food you need with the additional unknown of eod's. I would not be happy for food to run out!
Posted: Sun 28th Feb 2016, 8:33
Some very valid points raised here. I need to analyse no shows in more detail but at a quick glance it was predominantly the earlier entries that failed to show so 'life' may have got in the way in the interim. It also seems that 'blocks' of people didn't turn up (ie 4 enter together, one can't make it so the other 3 don't bother)
Our event was full a couple of months before the day and I am sure we could have had upwards of 250 entries. Unfortunately, car parking and event centre mean we have to limit entries to 100.
Our break even numbers are around 60/70 so we don't make much profit and anything we do make will be channeled towards local charities (probably MRT's). We do not use the event as a fundraiser. We are LDWA members putting on an event for LDWA members (and prospective members). Ultimately we are a walking group and not a business.
Author: David Powell
Posted: Sun 28th Feb 2016, 1:23
Local Group: Heart of England
Just a thought but why set your entry level so low ? - and why not have on the day entries - if you charge a premium for OTD's and arrange your catering right on the day entries can just add to the bottom line of the event- Last year on the BCC otd's fueled half the profit of the event
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Sat 27th Feb 2016, 21:17
Local Group: Sherwood
If a higher entry fee means a better attendance rate - as it may well do - surely that is because the higher fee deters people from entering if they aren't sure that they will be able to make it on the day (or makes people think twice about not turning up once they have paid the fee) - I don't think people fail to turn up because they perceive an event as being of a poor standard (if that were the case, they wouldn't enter in the first place).

Of course, an unintended consequence of putting a limit on numbers is that it encourages people to enter early to be sure of getting a place, so people may enter at an early stage when they aren't sure about things like work and family commitments that may end up getting in the way.

I agree, though, that 25% no-shows seems high, and must be very frustrating for organisers.
Posted: Sat 27th Feb 2016, 20:23
Well that went better than expected. Good weather, good feedback and a happy organising team. Just a shame over 25% no shows. No doubt friends will tell them what a good time they could have had. Heard an argument today that if we charged £20 rather than £8 we would have had a better attendance rate. Is it commonly assumed that a low entry fee means a cr*p event?
Posted: Sat 9th Jan 2016, 20:26
Hi Folks. Sorry but our entry limit has been reached. No further entries will be accepted. We have accepted more than our limit to allow for no shows. Please do not turn up on the day and expect to do the event if you do not have an entry number.
Thanks to all entrants for your support.
John
Posted: Tue 5th Jan 2016, 17:45
Our entry limit of 100 has now been reached. Thanks for your support. We are accepting a few extra entries (15) to allow for no shows but there will be strictly no entries on the day. If you wish to do this event you need to act soon.
John
Posted: Thu 27th Aug 2015, 8:31
This is a brand new event which takes place on Saturday 27th February 2016. Using a mixture of access land, concession paths and public footpaths with a short stretch on the Pennine Way & Bridleway, you will be treated to (weather permitting) some stunning views. The event is not for the fainthearted with a full 24 miles and almost 4000ft of ascent. Unfortunately, numbers have had to be restricted to 100 and it is already a third full with more entries arriving daily.
If you wish to participate in this event you will not be able to wait for the 5 day weather forecast before deciding as we expect event to be full before the end of October (possibly sooner). There is no other event scheduled for Northern England on this weekend as far as we are aware, so if you are a regular eventer we suggest you act now. Entry forms are available on LDWA site.
John

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law