Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - The Crosses

Author: Jacqueline Cooper
Posted: Sun 2nd Aug 2015, 16:15
Local Group: West Yorkshire
It doesn't cost much to put some savory food on, just takes people time. I know it was during Ramadan but plenty of the event was in the dark, when the fast is over anyway.

It is a shame with the poor reputation and reassurance this time that things were no different.

Cartmel - stop blaming the small people for eating all the food!!!
Author: Gordon Teal
Posted: Sun 2nd Aug 2015, 14:32
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Author: Carmel Keary
Posted: Mon 13th Jul 2015, 23:36
Local Group: North Yorkshire
Author: Sean Flynn
Posted: Fri 10th Jul 2015, 22:29
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Fri 10th Jul 2015, 21:12
Local Group: Staffordshire
Very much enjoyed this very relaxed event - lovely views; great weather; beautiful sunset and large orange moon in a clear sky. As well as the formal checkpoints; there were extra water points; folks positioned at some key turn points; and pretty good signage. It would make a nice event for someone attempting their first 50; no time pressures - apart from completing in 24 hours.
Regarding 'food' - I always carry my own - being a plodder, I often travel towards the back of the pack - so even on LDWA event I am used to arriving at c/points to find the larder is bare. Reading previous comments - maybe folks are expecting to be fed - rather than supplemented.
Author: Albert Bowes
Posted: Fri 10th Jul 2015, 12:51
Local Group: Cleveland
We agree with the comments made by Sean, he got it spot on. 6 of us from Cleveland LDWA did the Crosses as a group, we had a good event, didn't enjoy all the road/hard tracks but expected it. To us it appeared to be a runners event, lots of quick sugar "jelly beans, flapjack" but nothing savoury until the soup which was a long way in. It is important that event organisers tell you if the food is going to be as basic as this.

But not to take anything away from the Organisers and their supporters who worked throughout the weekend to accommodate this event, particularly those check pointers in the High Muffles area who were swamped by Midges, in fact we thought the soup was full of herbs, until they started to move and realised it was protein on the wing - "midges".!!!
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Fri 10th Jul 2015, 8:59
Local Group: South Pennine
Couldn't do this event due to injury but it sounds like standard MRT catering. You would think Rescue teams would appreciate the need to feed entrants properly on long events but apparently not.
The general impression I have got from such events is that if someone is kind enough to donate food to the organisers then this will be passed on to the entrants (one memorable event where the only food was stale sausage rolls, at every checkpoint!) but there is a reluctance on the part of organisers to purchase food as it eats into their fundraising.
Lets also not forget that the entry fee here was substantial and a certain level of sustenance should be provided. If not, it should be clearly stated on the entry form.
Doubtless there will be a reduced entry next year and as a consequence less funds raised.
John
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Fri 10th Jul 2015, 8:39
Local Group: East Lancashire
I have no experience of The Crosses, but I have been on another on-LDWA event whose organisation was, by comparison, deficient to LDWA's in ways which included both food and route delineation. I did comment to them and I hope my remarks were listened to; it wouldn't be appropriate, now, to say which one it was, but it is a very well-known national UK charity.

The sponsored events for charity industry - for that is what it is - has now reached such a level that it is sadly likely that sooner or later there will be a major incident involving the safety of participants. This will be a great shame, since the motives of both organisers and participants in such events are unquestioned. But the consequences, at least in the short term, will be a drop in both participation and money raised. The longer term result may be registration of events and perhaps a national overseeing body to maintain standards.

In the meantime, I suggest that non-LDWA organised events be indicated more clearly, perhaps with a disclaimer to the effect that the LDWA is not liable for any consequences and that their inclusion in the events lists does not represent responsibility for or approval of their organisation or procedures. The LDWA hundreds (and Oxfam's 100Km Trailtrekker) are the best organised events of any sort with which I have been involved. Sadly, some of the others are a long way behind, and we should not expect the same or similar standards to apply should we choose to take part in them.

Iain.
Author: Ian Hull
Posted: Thu 9th Jul 2015, 21:21
Local Group: South Pennine
Author: Sean Flynn
Posted: Wed 8th Jul 2015, 22:52

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law