Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Caerphilly Summits Challenge 5th August

Posted: Thu 17th Aug 2006, 20:31
The point made about runners is an interesting one. I joined LDWA in the 80's but left because as a runner I felt that organisers didn't encourage people like me on their challenges. I recall 3 challenges where I was told I couldn't run. I've now rejoined because I heard organisers were welcoming runners to take part. I agree there are a lot of us out there normally associated with trail or fell running associations but are looking for any long distance challenges that are off-road. At 50+ I'm realising that I will slow down as are my running friends and so yes the time will come when we return to our roots as walkers rather than joggers/runners. I look forward to fitting in some new challenges.
Posted: Tue 15th Aug 2006, 13:55
Hi Norman,

I initially stumbled onto the LDWA website when doing various goggle searches to get inspiration for routes in South Wales in order to organise guys in my office prior to tackling the 24 hour 3 peaks challenge this year. It was after completing the 3 peaks that I was determined to get out more regularly and take on longer more challenging walks.

A friend (who is in a runners club in Cardiff) reminded me of the LDWA South Wales Branch 'Caerphilly Summits Challenge' saying he heard is was well organised and I should give it a go. The rest is history, however I have to say that John Cunnane answered all my email queries so quickly and clearly that I had a good feeling that when I turned up on the day I would not feel like an 'outsider'.

In answer to your question, I'm not a runner although my fitness is now taking me to the point where I run sections of walks I complete - mostly on the flat and downhill, which I guess is the difference between calling yourself a walker and a fell runner.

I agree with you about attracting more runners to the challenge walks. I don't know if you advertise at all in running magazines, all I know is that all the runners I saw during my first LDWA event looked pretty happy to be there! The running side is quite addictive, I ran with some guys for a while before breaking back into walking - whatever you're doing it's all good!!

Gareth
Author: Norman Corrin
Posted: Tue 15th Aug 2006, 10:33
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
Gareth Hi there I'm the Publicity Officer on the National Committee. How did you find out about it? Are you a runner?
Speaking to a lot of runners who take part in social walks/challenge events a lot of them have never heard of us and are always surprised at what good value we offer. Just curious as I think runners are the people we need to attract. In time they will slow down and become walkers!
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Mon 14th Aug 2006, 17:10
Local Group: South Wales
Hi Gareth,

It's great to hear that you've joined the LDWA. I walk with the South Wales Group but couldn't help on the Caerphilly Summits because I was on holiday. The group are a great bunch of people and you will always be made very welcome when you come out for a walk. Look forward to meeting you.

Regards,

Dave Morgan
Posted: Mon 14th Aug 2006, 14:00
Many Thanks to the South Wales Branch of the LDWA who organised the Caerphilly Summits Challenge Event on the 5th of August. I heard about the event through a friend and after emailing the organiser John Cunnane a couple of times decided to turn up on my own and try the 21 miler. I've had quite a bit of experience going out hiking in the Brecons and Black Mountains, as well as doing various 3 peaks challenges, but I was curious to see how this would turn out.

I was not disappointed!! The organisation was first class, the check points served a great range of food and drink, and everyone involved was so helpful.

I met a some great people whilst 'en route' and even bumped into someone who I haven't seen for about 4 or 5 years, who hopefully I'll be meeting up with for further hikes in the Brecons! Good to see Delme (and John).
Even when we completed the event there was a meal waiting for us, which considering the minimal cost to register for the event, is again a credit to the organisers.

As a result of this I registered with the LDWA, and will of course link up with the South Wales Branch.
Can't wait for the next Challenge with more outings in between - ultimately taking on the 50 milers and beyond perhaps...?

This has given me more of a focus to take on longer distances (which I should be doing at 32!) as well as a great opportunity to meet people with a shared interest in the outdoors.

Thanks

Gareth Howell
Cardiff

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law