Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Wet arsms in waterproof jackets

Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Sat 27th Dec 2014, 20:33
Local Group: East Lancashire
Hi John.

I'm no expert, but have you asked Nikwax or RAB themselves?

The only thing I am aware of is the need to wash the garment in Nikwash before proofing with Nikwax. That's what the instructions say.

I've had my Paramo Adventure Sock for a little while now, and when I first got it it was superb. I've been through some quite heavy downpours and it worked well. I washed and re-proofed it a couple of months ago, and last weekend I delivered some leaflets in what I would describe as 'that fine rain that wets you' - and my thermal top underneath was soaked to the skin.

I'll have to wash and re-proof it again and hope that fixes it. Its a lot of money to have shelled out if it doesn't work!!!

Good luck with yours.

Peter
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Fri 26th Dec 2014, 21:36
Local Group: London
Of course the title should read "Wet arms in waterproof jackets"
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Fri 26th Dec 2014, 21:35
Local Group: London
Since doing repeated, frequent washings of my Rab e-vent jacket in Nikwax (and it used to leak horribly after a few years of use when washed in non-Nikwax), I now get a peculiar problem when wearing the jacket as a windproof (i.e. non-rainy days), I end up with dripping wet lower arms inside the jacket. In cases like this my body is dry but my arms are wet. I suppose that I'm generating enough heat to drive off the sweat that I'm generating and to circulate it away from my torso, but as my arms are cooler I guess that it condenses in the non-heat producing arms. I don't recall having this problem when the jacket was new so I'm wondering if maybe I've accumulated too much Nikwax on the jacket from these frequent washes? By the way, the jacket is quite reasonably waterproof in rain and the water beads up nicely.
Anybody else suffered like this?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law