Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Charged 1 for ice in tap water

Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Fri 19th Sep 2014, 17:10
Local Group: Sherwood
At the very least they should have made it clear that you could have a glass of tap water for free or a glass of iced tap water for £1 - to charge you without giving you the option is simply to take advantage of people's expectation that tap water is free.
Author: Allan Ricketts
Posted: Thu 18th Sep 2014, 20:31
Local Group: Bristol & West
Hi, Andrew
Thanks for information I will try the site you suggest. However the bar person did accept that ordinary tap water was free at the Moorcock (North Yorkshire) thus compiling with the law. The £1 payment was because I asked for a pint of iced tap water. The £1 was for the ice. Hopefully Caz Field the owner will respond to my review on Trip Advisor. She has done so very graciously to complaints in the past such as overcharging and missing vegetables with meals. This is all such a shame because if they had given me free iced tap water and one member of staff had been less sharp this would be a 5 star pub in my opinion. Being on the Pennine Bridleway National Trail it is at the end of the day a vital resource.

The good that has that has come out of this discussion is that no other LDWA members who have seen the post appear to have come across this practise of charging for ice in tap water as practised at the Moorcock (North Yorkshire) Hopefully this pub is unique, will realise that and will change this practise.
Watch this space.
Regards Allan
Author: Andy Todd
Posted: Wed 17th Sep 2014, 19:18
Local Group: Wiltshire
Report them to the local trading standards as free provision of tap water is a mandatory condition of a premises licence

https://www.gov.uk/alcohol-licensing
Author: Allan Ricketts
Posted: Tue 16th Sep 2014, 21:20
Local Group: Bristol & West
Having backpacked 45 long distance paths, including all the National Trails, a 920 miles LEJOG, the Coast to Coast and toured England (3500 miles) on the OAP bus pass it has long been my tradition in pubs, including 335 Wetherspoons, to start drinking real ale with a pint of iced tap water to help with rehydration and the more to enjoy the beer. All previous pubs in my 50 years drinking life, realising I am a walker or traveller by my clothes and rucksac, have provided this free and some have also very kindly offered a slice of lime or orange. NOT SO THE MOORCOCK, Garsdale Head, North Yorkshire which is very suitably positioned on the Pennine Bridleway National Trail. I had a good £10 meal and a fair £4 beer here on 17 August 2014 but was SECRETLY charged £1 for ice in the pint of tap water I had asked for. It had been a mind numbing day on the open moor in heavy rain and gale force winds and the pub did kindly give me cash back so I did not have the energy to resist strongly this surcharge. When asked about it the female bar person said, “We have to pay for ice and so do you !” Will not be surprised if because of its large bill the Moorcock becomes the Pelican in the near future. Am I making a fuss about nothing? Have any LDWA members come across this practise in other pubs? Please name and shame so we can be forewarned to only ask for the water to which we are legally entitled!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law