Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Canal Canter revised route due to cycle path construction on Worcester Canal

Author: Kev Baldry
Posted: Sun 21st Sep 2014, 14:22
Local Group: Heart of England
Thanks to all those involved in last week's walk.

The detour through the wood and canon hill park was good but I'm not sure we can boast about it being such a flat course anymore, thanks to Sir Harry !

Just a suggestion... The section to and from Winson Green - would it be possible to walk up one side and back along the other bank ?

BTW - I loved the LEMMON DRIZZLE cake :-)

Kev
Author: David Powell
Posted: Tue 16th Sep 2014, 23:49
We will shortly be sending out the recipe for this years winning cake- a melt in your mouth chocolate brownie baked by Marian White -to all of our 240 judges who helped us make this very difficult decision. The lemon drizzle cake was a close runner up and mention was made of a fruit and nut twist. Many thanks to all of you who helped us in this very demanding task.

Regards
Dave
PS I nearly forgot we'll also send out the results of the walk
Author: Michael Jones
Posted: Mon 15th Sep 2014, 22:40
Thanks to everyone involved for an excellent event. The new route was an interesting one, and sufficiently different to make it not feel like an event I'd done before (although the fact that I had served to forewarn me that "The Mailbox" was the name of a building, and not one of those red things you post letters into). The route description was clear, with the possible exception of one point a few miles in where a bunch of us got temporarily confused, but managed to sort ourselves out eventually.

The hospitality was superb - among the range of cakes in the competition, my vote went to the lemon and ginger. One of the volunteers at CP1 set a challenge - to eat one slice of toast with every available topping. I duly completed it, with orange marmalade, lemon and lime marmalade, strawberry jam, raspberry jam, honey, Marmite and Nutella on the same slice; I'm not sure whether anyone else tried it.
Author: Robert Locock
Posted: Sat 13th Sep 2014, 21:41
The cake competition entries were up to the usual high standards. The route made a nice change,
Author: David Powell
Posted: Thu 7th Aug 2014, 19:28
You may have read that due to upgrades of the tow path the route via the Birmingham Worcester Canal will be closed on the 13th September- Fear not !!! we have made arrangements for an alternative route using the Rea Valley Cycle Way. This makes use of another of Birmingham's linear parks following its other mighty river. The route will also take us through Holders Lane Woods (my favorite part of the city where I spent many years playing as a child) Cannon Hill Park, and through the Calthorpe Estate a Georgian area built for the city's rich merchants in the 19th century. We are again holding a Canal Canter Cake Competition and invite all entrants to help us judge the best baking- bring a healthy appetite !!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law