Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Sleeping Quilts

Posted: Mon 25th Aug 2014, 11:20
My Cumulus quilt arrived from Slovakia in 4 days. It is very light, compresses easily and I think is well made, time will tell. I used it for the first time this week (two nights) when I walked from Tonbridge to Crawley on the High Weald Trail. The most noticeable benefit for me is that my quilt does not have a hood which I prefer. I sleep on my side and I found it easy to manage even when I tossed and turned. I was warm and slept well.To improve on my purchase I think I will need to purchase a fitted mattress sheet, or depending on weather, wear long johns or pyjamas? Not quite sure yet what is going to be best but will decide as I gain further experience of it. I have a good test coming up on the 13th September. I am hiking from St Bees to Keld on the Coast to Coast then south to Edale on the Pennine Way over 12 days. I threw my previous down sleeping bag away because the feathers kept coming out and when I awoke they were everywhere!
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Fri 22nd Aug 2014, 20:15
Local Group: Surrey
Be warned: “Stitched-through for lightness” sounds like the down pockets are not walled, which means a zone of cold along the ‘stitched-through’ line. The pictures show this also.

High quality sleeping bags all have walled construction to avoid this. And “lightness”? Assuming 35 gsm (Pertex Quantum) material, 9 walls 40mm wide x 2.2m long, the extra weight is 28 grams. Thanks, I’ll go with my sleeping bag, walled with full length baffled zip. And in summer heat, a polar fleece throw as Mike says.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Thu 14th Aug 2014, 13:13
Local Group: Dorset
For summer camping I have used a couple of good quality "polar fleece" throws, instead of a sleeping bag .

They are durable, light, comfortable, easy to wash and quick drying.

And less than 10% of the cost of down quilt....
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Wed 13th Aug 2014, 21:45
Local Group: East Lancashire
Sleeping Quilt Review

Some of the prices leave me cold... !!!
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Wed 13th Aug 2014, 16:05
Local Group: Mid Wales
You will be wanting one of these then from PHD.
http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=quilt&x=0&y=0

I have their sleeping bag and down jacket so remembered a "special offer" they mailed through a year ago for quilts (they are not cheap). I thought at the time "nobody would want one of these unless they had thrown their sleeping bag away"!!!

I think some people use them as an easy upgrade for lightweight bags, probably good for those hot countries as well where a bag is too sweaty.

Let us know if you get one and what it's like. Matt.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Wed 13th Aug 2014, 12:58
Local Group: Dorset
I have no idea what a "sleeping quilt" is.

Is it basically a sleeping bag, with a zip on one side and the end, that can be fully opened out

Or are we talking about duvet?
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Tue 12th Aug 2014, 14:19
Local Group: London
Reg, "I threw away my sleeping bag". That sounds quite extreme. Why on earth would you do that?
Posted: Mon 11th Aug 2014, 20:17
I have ordered a Cumulus 350 sleeping quilt, unfortunately I had to order from Prague as Cumulus UK do not sell them in the UK and Cumulus Pl would not sell me one as a resident in the UK due to some trade agreement between the two companies. So much for free trade and open borders. I hope I have made a wise decision?
Posted: Thu 31st Jul 2014, 20:49
I recently threw my sleeping bag away and after reading articles on the internet I think my way forward is to buy a sleeping quilt. Does any member already use one?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law