Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - WOW

Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Sun 27th Jul 2014, 20:31
Local Group: Sherwood
And I would just like to say a great big thank you to all the people (most of whose names I don’t know) who stopped to help when I was taken ill towards the end of the WOW, and to Janet and Helen (?forgive me if I’ve got the name wrong) who ferried me and my car back to the Travelodge in Telford. I was deeply impressed – and moved – by everyone’s kindness, efficiency and patience, especially at a time when people must have been eager to get to the end of their own walk. I can assure you that lessons have been learned about the need to get the food and drink right, particularly when distances between checkpoints are quite long – but actually the main lesson learned is just how wonderful LDWA people are. It’s something I shall not forget - thank you again.
Author: Marian White
Posted: Thu 24th Jul 2014, 11:10
Local Group: Marches
That last bit sounds far more negative than I intented - thank you Marches group for a thoroughly memorable day (and night) out. Looking forward to next year already.
Author: Marian White
Posted: Thu 24th Jul 2014, 11:05
Agreed - going through Ackleton at 8ish there were bowls of sweets outside at least 2 houses, with a note telling WOW walkers to help ourselves. Much appreciated, particularly after the previous field stretch where many a stile and way marker looked as if it had been deliberately damaged.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Thu 24th Jul 2014, 9:15
Local Group: Dorset
Hi Janet,

As best as I can remember (it was after nightfall) - that was in Ackleton.

We did say thank you to the householders
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Wed 23rd Jul 2014, 20:11
Apparently you got extra support from householders putting out sweets and drinks - can anyone help with details of where they were so we can say thank you
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Tue 22nd Jul 2014, 17:23
Local Group: Dorset
I agree - It was an excellent event - and a really interesting route.

Thank you, Marches Group - for all your efforts, and the wonderful support at every checkpoint.
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Tue 22nd Jul 2014, 8:51
Wow probably best describes this event. Fabulous event and my thanks goes out to the organisers. Really interesting route and a fascinating combination of industrial history and beautiful scenery. Started from Much Wenlock, (and so did the rain) over the wrekin (which was like being in a washing machine) to coalbrookdale, ironbridge, bridgnorth, worfield, coalport bridge, back to ironbridge and then back to Much Wenlock.
The rain finally stopped in the afternoon, leaving a beautiful red sky as the sun went down - very atmospheric walking towards Sutton Maddock Church through the corn fields, the smell of the corn, the church silhouetted against the red sky and the mist rising up from the river - it reminded me of why I love challenge events that go on until the evening.
Personally I prefer either to have to totally rely on a map (just be given grid references) such as was in the case of 'a foot in two dales' and have the event as more of a 'canter' or have a comprehensive RD. I found the RD just confused the matter as the detail was patchy and it was difficult to work out which field / track the detail was referring to but only a minor point and the event was really enjoyable - thanks all.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law