Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Surrey Tops - Sept 20/21st 2014

Author: Tony Cartwright
Posted: Sat 18th Oct 2014, 15:26
Local Group: Surrey
The Report and Pics for this event are now available at http://www.ldwa.org.uk/Surrey/W/2329/surrey-tops.html together with the previously published results.

Thanks to all who emailed me, tweeted, or posted comments on this forum.

Thanks also to all who sent me pics - these are included in the picture gallery at the above URL.

Tony
Author: Alan Stewart
Posted: Mon 22nd Sep 2014, 12:10
Local Group: Kent
Challenging in terms of distance, number of checkpoint, route and navigation, I guess that's why it's called a challenge event.

A lovely part of the country to walk in, just a shame the weather obscured many of the views.

A big thank you to all involved in organising and running the event. Welcolming checkpoints, good food and much appreciated Beef Stew at check point three and Breakfast and a shower at the finish. Well Done Surerey Group.
Author: Aaron Hookway
Posted: Mon 22nd Sep 2014, 11:02
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Agreed it was a tough route over many of the tops of Surrey. Well worth the drive down south.

All CP's were well staffed and plenty of food on offer if a little sparse (5 Inc finish) enjoyed the full English breakfast at the end.

Well done to all at Surrey LDWA, fantastic event.
Author: Andrew Gilbertson
Posted: Sun 21st Sep 2014, 17:03
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
A very tough 50! We thought it seemed longer!
Thanks to all who made it possible. Very welcome hot food at CP 3 and the finish.
The distance between CPs was a tad longer than on some other events, but very good when one got to them. An extra checkpoint would have been welcome.
Too much walking in Dark Woods at night for my taste.
Well done to the route discription team, exellent over all, we only went astray a couple of times and they were our fault not the discription.
Gill and Andrew
Author: Manfred Engler
Posted: Sun 21st Sep 2014, 13:25
Local Group: Sussex
Thank You s much for a fantastic event.
Special Thanks to all volunteers at the check points
Author: Melissa Butcher
Posted: Sun 21st Sep 2014, 12:22
Local Group: London
Ditto Julie's comments - loved the checkpoints - great food and cheerful people. Thanks everyone. But did anyone make it through puttenham common without going astray!?
Author: Julie Welch
Posted: Sun 21st Sep 2014, 11:27
Local Group: London
Thank you Surrey LDWA for an excellent (if tough) Surrey Tops, made even better by the weather. Special acknowledgement to the volunteers who worked through the night to man the last checkpoint and check in finishers, as well as feed us at the end. Everyone was so cheerful and helpful.
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Mon 8th Sep 2014, 15:22
Just a few more days left to enter: closing date for entries 10th September

I did the Marshals' walk: it's a beautiful route. Up around the Devil's Punchbowl, across Hankley Common, swinging east along the North Downs Way, then west back though the hills to Witley.
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Fri 6th Jun 2014, 10:34
Local Group: Heart of England
Yes ive entered there is over 40 already so I woudnt hang about also Travelodge at Guilford got rooms very cheap for the weekend .ive paid £70 for two nights
Author: Tony Cartwright
Posted: Thu 5th Jun 2014, 14:38
This event is now open for entries (on-line only). See
http://www.ldwa.org.uk/Surrey/W/2317/surrey-tops.html

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law