Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Doing Birmingham To Aberystwyth in hopefully 3 days Walk brutal need help !

Author: Arthur Metcalfe
Posted: Mon 20th Dec 2021, 13:14
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi to all Walkers intending to walk The Southwest Way.. I have found using Buses' and a car it is possible to walk around 95% of this path ,once one has collected the Bus info .ie Exmoor Coaster, Atlantic Coaster. Lands End Coaster, Lizard bus
The Dorset Breezer. Bus out, Walk back--Walk out Bus back. It save having to carry heavy Backpack. It makes the walk a lot more easy on the legs etc . Arthue metcalfe Ripon,North yorkshire
Author: Steven Wilson
Posted: Mon 13th Dec 2021, 21:35
Local Group: Heart of England
Janet
If you want the exact details then please email me and I can send you all the information
steve33golf@icloud.com
Thanks Steve
Posted: Mon 13th Dec 2021, 20:53
Hi Janet apologies for the late reply, please see below our page there are stories and photos on there.
Thanks Steve https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/bhxabewalk
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Fri 8th Oct 2021, 20:04
Local Group: Marches
Congratulations Steven - both for the walk and the magnificent sum raised. Do you have a blog/ facebook page or any other account of your walk?
Posted: Wed 6th Oct 2021, 21:45
I did the whole route on the 4th September this year we did it over 8 days, myself and two work colleagues we raised 5k for CRUK. The route itself is very scenic, hilly and in some parts very remote, especially around the Elan Valley. I did the urban section from Birmingham city centre which is very unique and I thought interesting through the canal network. Accommodation is difficult to find in remote areas but people were willing to pick us up and return us to the path. Walking poles are a must, and if you can get someone to take your backpack onto the next location even better, we all carried ours which was difficult in places, we stayed in pubs, b&b and the odd farmhouse, all in all very enjoyable but we had good weather !!!
Posted: Sun 11th Oct 2020, 12:58
Hi Andy

Thanks for the information, I'm looking forward to exploring the many routes on this site, it looks an impressive set up.
Author: Andy Clark
Posted: Sat 10th Oct 2020, 16:14
Local Group: Kent
Hello Steven
Firstly, welcome to the LDWA.
You have probably seen from our web page for the Birmingham and Aberystwyth Walk that it is described as an old route that is no longer classified as a Long Distance Path, presumably because the only detailed publication is no longer readily available.
I have just added a short Youtube video, from a few years ago, as a link on our webpage. This is a montage of photographs from along the walk and may be of interest to you.
If you do manage to do the walk, I hope you enjoy it - please let us know how you get on.
Posted: Sat 10th Oct 2020, 13:01
Hi All

I have joined the LDWA this year as I'm interested in the walk, has anyone actually done it ? I have the guide book from John Roberts, can anyone give me any information about it please

Thanks
Steve
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Wed 16th Jul 2014, 22:35
Hi Andrew
I did a run from Newtown to aberywrsth a few weekends ago which was 42 miles

The cambrians are very remote and easy to get lost . Make sure you take a gps and a good compass

btw it was a blast and I really enjoiyed it . Something good about finishing at the coast

And the fish and chips opposite the pier were I finished are a must
Posted: Fri 20th Jun 2014, 10:22
Sorry for delayed reply, Matthew your more than welcome to join if you are around , Same to you too Janet, you sound like you have been planning that one for a while anyway?.

So Here's the current update looks like we will be doing it across the weekend of 25th-30th July. As i think i said before we were planning to chop the route down by the first 50 or so miles (purely because of time factor) and start in Cleeton St Mary near to ludlow and just make it 100 miles, we are also looking to get a charity page up and raise a bit of money doing it. other than that we are just doing it for fun, pain, achievement, and it will be a nice walk with some cool scenery

I will keep you both (and anyone else who may be interested) posted as it all evolves

Andy
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Fri 20th Jun 2014, 10:00
Local Group: Marches
I am interested too Andrew - its on my "to do" list and I have the maps all marked up and ready to go! Let me know what the plans are
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Fri 30th May 2014, 10:33
Local Group: Mid Wales
Keep us in touch when you know your plans, if I'm about I may try to join you for a day or two in the Wales area, I know it pretty well. Chances are I shall be off somewhere else, but may be about at home. Matt.
Posted: Thu 29th May 2014, 22:30
Well We have not set exact dates yet, but it could be around end of July start of August, we may need to give it four days three might be a bit optimistic, although we were planning on not doing the full 150 miles because of time factor and other commitments etc..... we are saying 3(ish) days based on the fact we were going to start about 50 miles at around the 100 mile mark and try and do about 30 miles a day .
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Thu 29th May 2014, 20:17
Local Group: Mid Wales
When are you planning to walk it? That's good mileage each day if you are planning on carrying tents, food, cooking gear etc.
Matt.
Posted: Thu 29th May 2014, 17:08
Hi there LDWA members

Just wondering if anybody has done and completed the Birmingham to Aberystwyth walk ????
Me and a couple of friends are going to be walking this for charity , and if anybody has walked this could they offer any advice or tips, perhaps on the terrain , places to stay, good pubs, wild camping just any advice really we would be massively grateful

thanks

Andy

P.S if anybody wants to join us and can walk fast & likes pain let us know

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law