Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Still dry?

Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Fri 30th May 2014, 11:50
Local Group: Dorset
In extreme conditions (I think the V 100 will meet that criteria) the concepts of "waterproof" and "breathable" are relative. Some damp will always find its way in, and some condensation will be generated because your body is working hard. You may not be aware of this, but it is happening.

The layer(s) worn underneath are also very important. You need to consider the whole system, and not just the outer shell. Many modern base layers use excellent synthetic materials, which remain effective even when damp.

I think the real question is how comfortable you feel, not how to stay "dry".
Author: Tim Hughes
Posted: Wed 28th May 2014, 20:10
Local Group: Marches
For what it's worth, my kit list was: Mountain Equipment Paclite jacket (excellent),North Face over trousers (light and comfortable, but not totally dry inside), Salomon Goretex shoes and Bridgedale socks and liners (wet feet, but reasonably comfortable in the circumstances). Maybe I'll try waterproof socks sometime, but reports seem to be mixed. I understand the recommendation elsewhere for Paramo waterproofs, but they're too warm for me. A wicking base layer was all I needed under the Paclite most of the time. In the nights I added my favourite piece of kit: a Paramo shirt that I've had for at least ten years. It works as a thin fleece or a wind-resisting outer and I love it! 48 hours after finishing I still have sore feet, bruised more than blistered I think. I wasn't quite on my last legs at the finish, but i wouldn't have fancied a second lap! Tim.
Author: Gerald Davies
Posted: Wed 28th May 2014, 17:27
Local Group: Marches
If you managed to stay dry during the Valleys 100, what gear was it that served you so well?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law