Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Ordance Survey 'Easter Eggs'

Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Wed 9th Apr 2014, 11:39
Local Group: East Lancashire
Looks like the lamppost variety, then - and I hadn't noticed the alliterative names (Trev near Tennyson's etc.). The must have been heroes in the office (or school) for a few days.

Iain
Author: Alan Stewart
Posted: Wed 2nd Apr 2014, 14:29
Local Group: Kent
Hi Iain, I hope this is not inappropriate language, but if you look to the left of Rob below Tennyson Down I'm I sure you can see the word Arse, or is it just my corrupted mind.
Author: Iain Connell
Posted: Wed 2nd Apr 2014, 13:01
Local Group: East Lancashire
A few days ago I read that a cartographer named Bill had included his own name in the marks denoting a cliff edge on the 1:50,000 OS map of the Isle of Wight. I had a look on Streetmap. Sure enough, it's there, just above Blackgang on the coastline NW of St. Catherine's Point, the most southerly tip of the island.

A few minutes' googling turned up another, again on the Isle of Wight, this one Trev (west of Tennyson's Monument, east of the Needles). On the same stretch of coast, I noticed, his mate Rob had a go as well. And NW of Bill (near Whale Chine) is Mike.

Are these isolated cases (Bill, Trev, Rob and Mike seem to be only ones on the Isle of Wight), or is the coastline of other islands (or other OS features) round the UK peppered with 'Easter Eggs' ? Just dogs and lamposts, or anything more interesting ?

Iain.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law