Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Environmental Matters

Author: Raymond Wilkes
Posted: Sat 8th Feb 2014, 19:31
Local Group: West Yorkshire
The trouble is that the UK only accounts for abt 2% of emissions so anything we do will make hardly any difference.
However, if you use energy efficiently, say insulating your house, driving less or driving smoothly, you cut emissions and save money!
Carbon fuels are expensive so cutting emissions will usually save money.
If carbon cutting needs a subsidy, it is probably not cutting carbon! Windfarms need a subsidy because all the steel, concrete, construction and transport emits loads of carbon dioxide which is barley paid back over the lifetime of the wind farm.
Sadly, nearly every major government initiative to cut emissions has made the matter worse!
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Sat 8th Feb 2014, 19:16
Local Group: East Lancashire
"We could all spend our leisure time reprinting long screeds from journalists, some battier than others, but is that what this forum is for ?"

You have a good point.

The purpose of the forum is to allow members to air their views. It isn't compulsory to take those views on board.

In the longer term, the environment matters a great deal. It does to me, and it does to my children and so I hope that there is a place for all views and healthy debate here.

Apologies Dave, if you were offended
Author: Michael Jones
Posted: Fri 7th Feb 2014, 12:10
Local Group: Heart of England
"We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this."
Author: David Kearns
Posted: Fri 7th Feb 2014, 9:49
We could all spend our leisure time reprinting long screeds from journalists, some battier than others, but is that what this forum is for ?
Posted: Fri 7th Feb 2014, 0:56
Isn't the internet brill...

"Within two days of Paterson’s subversive experiment with common sense, that shy beast was frightened back down its burrow and usual service resumed. In Parliament yesterday, Cameron said:

“We now need to move more rapidly to the issues like dredging, which I think will help to make a long-term difference. It is not currently safe to dredge in the Levels. But I can confirm that dredging will start as soon as it is practical, as soon as the waters have started to come down.”

Paterson then repeated the sentiment. It didn’t take him long to forget his statement on Monday, that “increased dredging of rivers on the Somerset Levels would not have prevented the recent widespread flooding”.

Cameron’s dredge pledge is like the badger cull. It is useless. It is counterproductive. But it keeps the farmers happy and allows the government to be seen to be doing something: something decisive and muscular and visible. And that, in these dismal times, appears to be all that counts."

www.monbiot.com
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Thu 6th Feb 2014, 9:28
Local Group: Dorset
I have not heard much from the climate change sceptics recently. Are they all cut off by floods?
Author: David Kearns
Posted: Sat 18th Jan 2014, 10:22
The Moonbat is always worth reading but for an alternative view try Christopher Booker's weekly column in the Sunday Telegraph and, presumably, elsewhere. It is not popular with the wind turbine companies and those beholden to them

Dave
Posted: Fri 17th Jan 2014, 1:20
Superb. Thanks

Privatised dredging eh... whatever next...
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Thu 16th Jan 2014, 18:38
Local Group: Dorset
Read this http://www.monbiot.com/2014/01/13/drowning-in-money for one of George Monbiot's brilliant examinations, this time of flooding.

Wow-I managed to get the coding to work. I'll be a programmer yet.
Posted: Tue 7th Jan 2014, 1:34
I would never dismiss Global Warming nor Climate Change.

Its just that Dave said we ought to "get rid of the green cra*"

He has denied it of course, and we were reminded that we should all Vote Blue. Go Green.

Sorry Dave. I for one just don't believe you mate.

And if you don't start taking these issues seriously, Dave, we will be all in it together... in deep do do.
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Mon 6th Jan 2014, 9:17
Local Group: East Yorkshire
I know Steph was overwhelmingly tied up in Membership Secretary duties in the past 12 months but did you notice that not one punter posted on this Forum topic in 2013? Do all 7500+ members dismiss climate change (or Global Warming as it was called until we started getting snow in Winter).

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law