Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Hiking and technology

Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Sat 21st Dec 2013, 20:37
Local Group: Sherwood
Thanks for posting that, Reg. When I was walking the West Highland Way recently I was wondering what piece of technology would combine phone, internet and reading matter (I don't have a smartphone), so your comments are very interesting.
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Sun 15th Dec 2013, 22:22
Local Group: East Lancashire
Yes Peter... but if the news is bad, you can always switch off...
Author: Peter Haslam
Posted: Sun 15th Dec 2013, 15:13
Local Group: East Lancashire
And you can get the latest Test Match scores…………………oh no !!!!
Posted: Sat 14th Dec 2013, 17:35
I hiked the Stevenson Trail in August and set my Ipad Mini up to make phone calls. I wanted to avoid roaming charges and only take one piece of technology with me. It worked a treat. I downloaded books, maps, sent and received emails, made phone calls, took a few photos (I do not take photos normally) looked up places and street maps when arriving in places and so on. I charged it for free on electric hook ups on camping/camping sites, no one minded. All I had to buy was a Mi-Fi, put £10 on a PAYG Voip site, download the MobileVoip app and bingo I was up and running. I remember sitting outside of my one man tent in a clearing in a wood on the outskirts of Florac. I phoned my sister on her land line for free and paid 2 euro cents a minute to phone my wife on her mobile. I thought that was pretty good value.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law