Discussion Forum - Gear ! - Survival bags

Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Fri 22nd Nov 2013, 9:54
Local Group: Northumbria
Thanks John. I'll ask Santa for a new one
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Thu 21st Nov 2013, 22:32
Local Group: London
Nick Kaye told me that when he took out his 10 year old space blanket it fell apart like confetti.
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Thu 21st Nov 2013, 16:26
Local Group: Northumbria
How long do the space blanket type bags last? Like Amorel, I've never wanted to open up the packet, but I've been carrying the current one for about ten years now. I suspect if I do have an emergency it will come out of the bag in strips.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Wed 20th Nov 2013, 17:46
Local Group: Mid Wales
I agree, I carry a lightweight 'Lifesystems' survival bag for most events, which should be ok to get me (or someone else) out of trouble for a while on any UK event.

But I'm off to New Zealand soon and will be walking alone for many days in the mountains, so purchased a 'SOL' (survive outdoors longer) emergency bivvy, because if I need it - I really need it!

I saw them at the OMM, a bit more expensive (around £16 mark) and weigh 108g, but they are meant to be very good kit and re-useable, within reason. This is now my solo trekking bivvy for when cutting corners is a bad idea.
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Wed 20th Nov 2013, 11:16
Local Group: Sherwood
I haven't opened the package, as I suspect I would never be able to get it folded up so neatly again, so I'm afraid I can't comment on how robust it is.

As with all equipment, there is always a balance to be struck between weight and potential benefit. To my mind most challenge walks are relatively low risk (because of the number of other people around and the proximity of checkpoints), so I would happily take a lightweight bag such as this on a challenge walk when I might opt for something more substantial if walking alone in wild places.
Posted: Wed 20th Nov 2013, 7:33
Armorel, thanks for that information. Hmmm? It looks very flimsy. Is it just metal foil or somethink more substantial?

By the way, to make a link clickable on this forum, just precede the text with the tag
[url]
and follow it with
[/url]
Then use the 'Preview' button to see the final format before saving it.
Posted: Tue 19th Nov 2013, 19:21
Certainly, John - I found it on Amazon here:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00331Q90S/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted: Tue 19th Nov 2013, 10:20
Armorel, thanks for that information. Could you provide a link to whatever supplier you bought it from as I haven't been able to find that exact bag. There are a lot of bags out there on the internet but few give details of size or weight. Thanks John
Posted: Tue 29th Oct 2013, 9:28
John has already raised the question of the size of survival bags. Another aspect is their weight. Those doing next year's 100 will have noticed that the required kit includes an "adequate survival bag". Since I have only ever carried a survival blanket in the past, that meant a trip to the local outdoor shop - they had several on offer and I bought the lightest, which nevertheless weighs 213 gm - quite a lot for an item you hope will never be used. So having bought it I did further research on the internet and found a survival bag by Redwood Leisure that weighs only 95 grams - it measures 90 cm x 210 cm and cost only £2.99 including postage. It arrived today and looks entirely satisfactory - so the moral is that it is definitely worth shopping around!

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law