Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Interesting Email

Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Wed 27th Nov 2013, 16:59
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Good point Janet - but the Strider article was written for August's edition (ie May 28 deadline) but didn't make the cut with the editor. The Committee meeting, in which it was discussed that local website posting was advisable, was in October. As it happens I posted all of the "ad hoc" rambles from their inception on our East Yorks website and similarly all of these joint walks were posted on the Ramblers website. I guess my article was written without 20:20 hindsight, but my postings on the website with superb psychic anticipation.
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Sun 24th Nov 2013, 19:47
Local Group: Marches
So what are we supposed to make of John's article in Strider "Ad Hoc Ramblings x 8" extolling the virtues of "ad hoc walks ...organised at short notice and only communicated by email" accompanied by a photo of the inaugural walk?
Posted: Fri 8th Nov 2013, 9:11
As I said previously, The Committee considered that a posting on the Group's local website would be sufficient.
Author: David Motloch
Posted: Tue 5th Nov 2013, 11:34
Local Group: The Irregulars
Well lets forget the Strider because the walk information for period January to April 2014 has already been submitted and is either going into print or has been printed, so no adding there ( an extra walk in April is 6 months away). Are we suggesting that we enter every last minute arranged walk on the national website? Or would details on the local groups website news page be suffice? Or do we just 'risk' going without the LDWA insurance ?
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Tue 29th Oct 2013, 21:02
Local Group: East Lancashire
Although I have been a member for a few years, I have only recently started trying to get out regularly with my local group. Really enjoying it!

Surely, as well as any insurance requirements, which are important matters, if a walk is arranged under the banner of the LDWA, surely it must be promoted (advertised) via the usual channels - which seem to be the handbook if there is time, via the main website or via the local group website if not, or as suggested, via a local newsletter.

Anything else, perhaps using social media, or ringing round a few people could, unwittingly, exclude members from knowing about the event and therefore from taking part in the event.

So perhaps the idea outlined from the Committee, in the original email from John, to use only the official channels to publicise walks, may have merit?

Peter
Posted: Tue 29th Oct 2013, 19:58
Below is an extract from the Committee minutes by Phil Heneghan referring to this issue. Note this and my email reproduced earlier refer to "may not be covered" by insurance. Recces are covered. If the walk is published on the local website it is covered. A newsletter published by a Group to members would also count presumably.

"The Chairman referred to a complaint that included inter alia a reference to unpublished walks being offered through social media or other unofficial methods. This gave rise to a concern that such walks may not be covered by the LDWA insurance if not published on the Group website in advance of the event. Local Groups are to be advised that this action is necessary for insurance purposes. Action JB"
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Sun 27th Oct 2013, 16:37
Local Group: Marches
if you read the insurance policy in the library section of this website it says nothing about how walks should be notified to make them "official" ( although I assume there are also explanatory documents which have not been published). I remember that years ago before most of us had internet access local groups regularly arranged walks by word of mouth or a local newsheet and it would be a shame if this suddenly became unacceptable.
Author: John Phillips
Posted: Sun 27th Oct 2013, 15:41
This should not be a difficult area to clarify. My understanding, unless there has been a change of position by the insurer, is that any official group activity should be covered whether it be a group walk, a challenge walk or a recce.
Author: David Motloch
Posted: Sun 27th Oct 2013, 13:43
Local Group: The Irregulars
Hello Group Secretaries

At last Saturday's Committee meeting, concern was expressed that some Groups may be arranging social walks at short notice by emailing members with walk details or by word of mouth arrangements.

These walks should be entered on the local Group's website to ensure that the LDWA insurance policy covers the walk. Walks flagged to me with sufficient notice can also be entered on the National web site to confer added security.

Similarly, members and, particularly walks leaders, are reminded that trespass or that following known dangerous paths or procedures may also invalidate the insurance cover provided to our leaders.

regards

John

Does this mean every walk i do has to be under the LDWA banner ?? If i walk with fellow LDWA members or non members during the week and its not in a walk programme what does this mean ?? And what about a walk recce for a future walk thats going to be a social walk?? I understand that if i walk and its not a social/challenge walk i would'nt be covered so i dont understand the need for the email.
Could you please clarify in simple terms what it actually means.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law