Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Feb Fifty

Author: John Cunnane
Posted: Fri 28th Feb 2014, 0:34
Local Group: South Wales
Many thanks to Aaron for organizing this 50ml walk which was a substitute for the Winter Poppyline. The ground conditions were muddy but far better than we might have expected. The scenery was excellent. The company was excellent - it was good to meet some very nice & friendly people and I'm looking forward to seeing folks again soon at the Valleys 100. Well done everybody.
Author: Aaron Hookway
Posted: Tue 25th Feb 2014, 18:24
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Ok folks pix of the said event can be found here (no sniggering at the back!!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaron1974/sets/72157641520368353/ (I aint clever enough to hyperlink so copy n paste!)

I am glad you all enjoyed the route,
Congatulations to all who finished and the one who had to drop at 41 miles did well also x

I am sending back unused cloth badges to eric and will be sending him a few pictures and our great thanks for a fantastic route.

See you all on The Woldsman or The Valleys 100

Aaron
Author: John Jocys
Posted: Mon 24th Feb 2014, 21:48
Local Group: East Lancashire
My photos are here ....I hope!

And please can I have the recipes for your flapjacks and the easy carbonara sauce!

JJ
Author: Annabel Wood
Posted: Mon 24th Feb 2014, 21:23
Local Group: London
Aaron,
Photos & flapjacks and mud notwithstanding, I'd also like to say how much I enjoyed the Carpetbaggers. And how much I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again at the start of the Valleys 100...
Definitely up for a 2015 'anytime' challenge
A'bel :oD
Author: Michael French
Posted: Mon 24th Feb 2014, 20:13
Local Group: Staffordshire
Aaron. Better not ask Annabel for her photos (enough said). Can't agree with you more John a great day all round even the weather was kind.
also had a Welsh lesson from John C. ready for the hundred( even though he says he can't speak Welsh!!!).If anybody is feeling hungry during the hundred just find Annabel she's bound to have a dozen flapjacks in her rucksack.It was lucky the river Severn had gone down but amazing to see how high it had risen.I suppose I'm lucky where I live - I've never seen flood defence systems before only on t.v.
Posted: Mon 24th Feb 2014, 13:08
Thanks John, fully concur with you on the great company. A great group of folk.
A smashing route and as usual, a challenge to stay on the bugger once it got dark (thanks John the GPS turned into a godsend)

I'll get some pix online asap (can you e-mail me yours by any chance?)
Best of luck on the hundred and who's up for a Summer 2015 Fifty! I'll start a thread!!!

Aaron
Posted: Sun 23rd Feb 2014, 21:15
A tough walk in really great company. I think I speak for everyone when I thank Aaron for all his hard work in putting this walk together...although I'm not sure I'll ever get all the mud out of my shoes!

JJ
Posted: Tue 18th Feb 2014, 12:31
It has been decided that we give the River Severn bank a miss this Saturday.

For anybody using a GPS and wanting a GPX file (copy this into browsers) http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4066393

The start time stays the same as 6am and I will let all know of any change of car park after I recce Friday.

Andrew Champion, I am still after some contact details mate if you still intend to join us.

Now I have the route in stone I have worked out the stops.

10 Mile will be outdoor at the Buttercross
16 Mile will be in Claverley (maybe indoor at the PH if open)
20 Mile will be outdoor at Seisdon
25 Mile will be indoor at the PH in Trysull for poss warm lunch
33 Mile will be indoor at the PH in Enville
41 Mile will be indoor at the PH in Shatterford
44 Mile will be outdoor in Northwood

This will not be stuck to too rigidly, the pace will be in the region of 17 to 18hrs and we will stop if someone shouts up.

looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday morning
Aaron
Posted: Sat 15th Feb 2014, 11:25
That looks like a very acceptable route tweek - well done.

We'll do our best to get there as early as possible on Friday afternoon which will give us a chance to recce the iffy bits of the route. I'll give you a shout nearer the time.

John (& Viv)
Posted: Fri 14th Feb 2014, 16:08
Well the chanting to the Norse river gods seems not to have worked.

I am a tad nervous about following the river Severn bank even if the river level goes down.

It is with this reason have decided to possibly avoid the bank, I am going down to Kidderminster early Friday to take a look at the bank and bridges and will let all know of the outcome.

This said, Andrew Champion and john Cunnane I have not recieved any form of contact details for you, can you please forward a mobile numer or such to twitter1974@hotmail.co.uk if you still intend to join us, theres a good chance the start car park may be flooded.

i have adjusted the route and placed a hastened route on ride with gps (copy and paste into browser) http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4046806
I have changed from the river bank to minor roads, sorry....

See you all a week tomorrow (bring spare socks!!)
Aaron
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Tue 4th Feb 2014, 20:51
Local Group: Heart of England
I've done that in the past with simular weather but not as bad as this years deluge . Usually very flooded just south of severn valley county park as you cross the bridge , also there are a few subsiderly steams that run into the severn that you have to cross via little bridges which I suspect will be pretty boggy .roughky this time last year I recceeed half of the camel Teign. Don't think that would be an option this year .
Posted: Mon 3rd Feb 2014, 21:59
Thank you for the update, I am going to Kidderminster early Friday 21st to check out the river first hand.

Thanks for the warning. I will take a look at the map and source another path from Bewdley to Seckley. Any idea on the state of the Severn past Seckley to Alveley??
Posted: Mon 3rd Feb 2014, 21:23
At the moment the path from bewdley up to seckley woods is underwater in places and dangerous to walk due to the high river severn .thought I would let people know
Posted: Fri 31st Jan 2014, 17:28
I have updated the GPX file on Ride with GPS for this walk if anyone is using it to navigate by. (I will bring enough route descriptions with me - although the plan is for us all to stick together best we can!)

Copy and paste in browser - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3566190/

There are a couple of amendments that Eric has pointed out to me after sending an up to date RD

All please pray to the Norse river gods that the Severn behaves over the next 3 weeks!
Author: Judi Webster
Posted: Thu 30th Jan 2014, 17:22
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi Aaron, yes I'll be on the Gargrave walk this Saturday.
Posted: Wed 22nd Jan 2014, 23:02
Hi Judi

No bother, I take it you have seen all the below. If all looks OK could you please send your mobile no too?

Or.....if you are Gargrave bound on the 1st of Feb I may see you there!

Aaron
Author: Judi Webster
Posted: Wed 22nd Jan 2014, 21:21
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Hi, can I come along too? Haven't done a hundred yet but have done 50 before. John & Viv told me about this walk.
Posted: Mon 20th Jan 2014, 18:46
With little over a month to go, I thought a summary may be prudent

Us mere mortals of the hundred club (who take two nights to complete) have decided as part of our prep for The Valleys 100 to walk UN-SUPPORTED Eric Perks route of the CarpetBaggers50.

We have decided to walk on the date of Saturday the 22nd February 2014 and intend to start at 6am, the first 10 miles are following the River Severn (barring a small section through Seckley Woods) navigation in daylight can wait for the more tricky middle section until it invariably gets dark at 17.36

The start... is in a suitable car park just of the A456 Stourport road (Blackstone Picnic Site, It’s on route).

If possible can the 9 individuals who have shown interest in this walk please send your mobile numbers to Twitter1974@hotmail.co.uk this will be for emergency use only. (Annabel, John and Viv I have yours)

I have a cert for all finishers and will be selling a cloth badge for £2

If there are any other takers for this walk can they make themselves known on this thread please, as before..
I must stress.. This walk will be UN-SUPPORTED i.e. NO OFFICIAL CHECKPOINTS

Aaron
Posted: Sun 19th Jan 2014, 17:26
Done John

To everyone else, I am to summarise tomorrow and sort

Aaron
Posted: Sun 19th Jan 2014, 17:11
Aaron, could you email me.

Ta,

John
johnjocys@hotmail.com
Posted: Sat 4th Jan 2014, 23:46
Tony, are you in the Backpackers Club? They'll have stuff available. I'll see what I have in the JJ Towers Library and get back to you if I'm successful.

John
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Sat 4th Jan 2014, 22:28
Local Group: Cumbria
Sorry - has got on wrong thread somehow!

Tony
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Sat 4th Jan 2014, 22:25
Local Group: Cumbria
I am looking for a copy of a guidebook for the Glyndwr's Way which doesn't seem to be available through normal channels.
If anyone has one to lend or sell I would be most grateful.

tonydeall@btinternet.com
Posted: Sat 4th Jan 2014, 21:25
Now were at 10 folk interested in this walk. Please can if anyone else is interested in joining us please state on this thread.

I may have to cap at 15. Keeping us all together will be interesting. Like a non geographical group walk!
Posted: Sat 4th Jan 2014, 21:21
Hi John

Yes joining us merry bunch in Feb no bother.

Again, i take it you have read all the below.

Look forward to seeing you
Author: John Cunnane
Posted: Fri 3rd Jan 2014, 22:05
Local Group: South Wales
Having done the Winter Poppyline since it started, without finding an alternative I would miss doing a 50 miler in Feb and would be glad if I can join you folks on this walk next month?
Worcestershire is so much nearer for me anyway than Norfolk and it looks an interesting walk in an area I hardly know at all.
Posted: Fri 3rd Jan 2014, 17:31
Hi Aaron im in the hundred and a two nighter. Did my one & only hundred so far in just under 44 hrs. so 17/18 hrs is fine by me
cheers
Mick.
Posted: Fri 3rd Jan 2014, 13:00
That suits us just fine!

Just about to book into the Travelodge in Kidderminster. See you in February!

JJ
Posted: Fri 3rd Jan 2014, 12:43
No bother John. More mere mortals the better. We'll be taking it steady on The CarpetBaggers, 17/18 hour timing i reckon.
Posted: Fri 3rd Jan 2014, 12:17
Viv's a successful entrant - and a mere mortal (two-nighter!) at that.

I'm a mere hanger-on......I know my place. At the back.

:-)

John
Posted: Fri 3rd Jan 2014, 10:18
Hi John, looking forward to seeing you and Viv in Feb

As for the acuracy of GPX on ride with gps.
I set the route using the RD, i have set many routes and used them on my bike with a mate. They are usualy acurate.

That said, if you search for The CarpetBaggers50 in the find a path fearure there are GPX, Tracklogs etc info uploaded for the route. I believe Peter has looked at the GPX file.

Are all the 8 of us sucessful Hundred entrants??
Posted: Thu 2nd Jan 2014, 21:22
Does anyone know if the GPX track on http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3566190 is good for the route?

John
Posted: Thu 2nd Jan 2014, 21:08
We'll join you for it if that's okay. We'll stay over in Kidderminster for the weekend.

John & Viv
Posted: Wed 1st Jan 2014, 21:15
Hi Luke

No bother, i take it you have read all the below. I'll sumarise later in the year.

See you in Feb
Aaron
Author: Luke Bradley
Posted: Wed 1st Jan 2014, 19:08
Hi Aaron

I'd like to come on this walk too, hope that's OK. It looks a good choice for a longer winter walk

Luke
Posted: Mon 11th Nov 2013, 23:03
Hi Aaron no problem glad to be of help cheers mark
Posted: Sun 10th Nov 2013, 16:27
Many thanks for the info Mark Anna or Katie.

I'll mark it on the map as a poss stop (CP) I am glad theres a few fellow members that have walked this route in recent times. It looks a good un.
Posted: Sun 10th Nov 2013, 11:36
I did the carpet baggers 50 for a warm up for the games 100

It's a nice route not too hilly
If you want an early checkpoint at around 12 miles take a slight de tour when you come off the river at alverley . There is a visitor centre at severn valley country park which is only about 400 yrds off route

They serve tea coffee cakes and full cooked food

But I think it's only open at weekend in the winter
Posted: Tue 5th Nov 2013, 10:32
Morning Andrew

No bother, I'll use this thread as a summary nearer the time. Us mere mortals need all the training we can muster!

Aaron
Posted: Tue 5th Nov 2013, 9:29
Hello

I would like to come on this walk. because 1, its not too far away being from Cheshire, 2. I am please to be following someone else & 3, I would like to do some training for the 1000 thing next year.

Hope OK

AC
Posted: Sat 2nd Nov 2013, 9:55
Many thanks for the post Linda/Jerry

I'm glad the route is still do-able. Good news on the parking too. Defo no plans for the day after!
Posted: Sat 2nd Nov 2013, 9:54
Many thanks for the post Linda/Gerry

I'm glad the route is still do-able. Good news on the parking too. Defo no plans for the day after!
Author: Linda Gould
Posted: Sat 2nd Nov 2013, 7:22
Two of us completed the Carpet Baggers as an unsupported social in July of this year. We used maps and route descriptions (which differed in some places!) but did not have a GPX, which may have made it a lot simpler. The parking at the start was plentiful and there was no barrier on the car park. The walk had many memorable moments, as ever, but it was a constant challenge to stay on route. I would not recommend planning anything for the next day!
Posted: Wed 23rd Oct 2013, 21:57
Hi Simon

I was trying to write and upload a post onto the forum using my iPhone (which is just about my only access to the www)
The message "unable to run SQL statement' came up (and is back at the top of this page now) in large red letters. Then when I tried to upload (save) the post, I got the following message:
No value found for System Constant EventsBriefDays
Unable to run SQL statement.
Again, in large red letters and all the menu options disappeared from the whole page!
Am I doing something wrong?!

Annabel
Posted: Wed 23rd Oct 2013, 20:43
Okay, I was going to leave this till we got a few more queries but here goes, you never know a few more might turn up.

I'm glad the GPX plot looks good, the route does not look too hard to follow using a map (couple of forest sections may need careful navigation in the dark)

Again; the route can be seen here (copy and paste into browser) http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3566190

I haven’t a foggy when the last time the route was completed as a whole, maybe a longer serving member of the LDWA may be able to shed some light.

Anyroad, I have now managed to view the entire route through Google’s steetview and can confirm the following.

The first town we come to with anything like cafes etc is Bewdley this is at 4miles and 46miles approx
At approx 25miles in the village of Trysull there is the public house The Bell Inn
At approx 33miles in the village of Enville there is the public house The Cat Inn
At approx 41miles in the village of Shatterford there is a public house The Bellmans Cross Inn.
A pint in every one is not compulsory

The first 20 miles are crying out for a cafe but after Bewdley I can find nothing. I suggest a packed lunch and emergency provisions are carried!

We intend to start at 6am for the reason Annabel gives, the first 10 miles are following the River Severn (barring a small section through Seckley Woods) navigation in daylight can wait for the more tricky middle section until it invariably gets dark at 17.36

The start...as far as I can tell, the Oldington Leisure Centre is not there anymore.
There is a suitable car park just of the A456 Stourport road (Blackstone Picnic Site) this we shall use as the start. (It’s on route).

Please use this thread if you are interested in joining us (as Peter and Mick have done)

Aaron
Posted: Wed 23rd Oct 2013, 20:03
Hi Peter,
Aaron's been working on the RD with a map and I believe he's been able to follow it with little problem. We're planning to start at 6am as the first part of the route is relatively easy to nav so shouldn't be too much trouble in the dark. He's also managed to identify a couple of potential places we could stop for food.
Annabel
Author: Peter Richards
Posted: Wed 23rd Oct 2013, 9:41
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
The GPX plot looks good - does anyone know the last time the route was followed?

Any idea at possible midway points (café/pub) ?

Early start - how early
Sunrise 07:10
Sunset 17:36
Daylight 10 h, 26 min
Author: Simon Leck
Posted: Wed 23rd Oct 2013, 8:12
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Hi Annabel,

Yes SQL errors normally indicate a problem. If you tell me what where you trying do, we'll look into it.

Simon.
Posted: Tue 22nd Oct 2013, 22:50
Think the Forum might be playing up tonight - what does "unable to run SQL statement' mean?!

ANYhoo...
Mick & Peter!
Yes! Looking forward to walking the Carpetbaggers50 with Aaron and you both in Feb.
Annabel
Posted: Tue 22nd Oct 2013, 21:18
Us mere mortals of the hundred club (who take two nights to complete) have decided as part of our prep for The Valleys 100 (if we get in) to walk UN-SUPPORTED Eric Perks route of the CarpetBaggers50.

I have managed to transfer the RD to a map and an overview of the route can be seen here. (copy and paste in browser). http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3566190

I doubt the RD alone will suffice on this walk (the route description is a few years old - trees, gates and white toped posts may not still be there) I can follow the gist of the route from the RD meaning the GPX exchange, Memory Map & Tracklogs info from this website should still be viable.

We have decided to walk on the date of Saturday the 22nd February 2014

Please use this thread if you are interested in joining us (as Peter and Mick have done) I shall be back early next year to confirm start time and starting place.

Posted: Tue 22nd Oct 2013, 21:17
Where's that bugger gone!
Posted: Tue 22nd Oct 2013, 21:16
Posted: Tue 22nd Oct 2013, 15:50
hi Annabel hope you saw the post between Aaron and myself. I'm up for which ever route you choose, even if I get balloted out of the 100.
Posted: Tue 22nd Oct 2013, 10:58
OK count me in
Posted: Mon 21st Oct 2013, 22:17
Hi Peter
Aaron & I are looking at doing the Carpetbaggers 50 on weekend of 22nd Feb as a warm-up for the Valleys 100. If you or anyone else fancies coming along then the more the merrier! Although it will of course be completely self supported (ie no check points) and we'll be hoping to get a really early start. Aaron's spoken to Eric (who devised the route) and there are badges available for anyone completing the 50 mile route.
Thanks
Annabel
Posted: Mon 21st Oct 2013, 10:38
Discussion regarding like minded walkers who are looking to do a self supporting 50 in the Feb - as part of their 100 prep or simply would like to or need to do 50 in February.

Location - Open
Date - Open

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law