Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Winter Poppyline 2014?

Author: Aaron Hookway
Posted: Mon 21st Oct 2013, 22:22
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Mick

Keep an eye out for me on the Woldsman then. I should ba able to get round the bugger with no need for a map nowadays.

As for an unsuported 50 in Feb, look out for a post by Annabel Wood i reckon she may post in Peter's thread (he seems to have gazump't us :-)

Aaron
Author: Michael French
Posted: Mon 21st Oct 2013, 15:43
Local Group: Staffordshire
yes aaron woldsman 2014 is in the diary. I realised feb walk would be unsupported i'm happy with that.
Author: Peter Richards
Posted: Mon 21st Oct 2013, 10:40
Local Group: Beds, Bucks and Northants
I opened a new topic in the events forum 'Feb Fifty'
- let's see what ideas occur!
Posted: Fri 18th Oct 2013, 22:07
Mick

Very good to hear from you again. Woldsman again next year?
Yes, myself and the lady who started this thread (we finished the CamelTeign 100 together) have decided as part of our prep for The Valleys 100 (if we get in!) we would like to complete a 50 mile walk in Feb. We are still in the process of planning but keep an eye out on this forum for a 'Guerrilla 50'
I must stress tho. This will be AN UNSUPPORTED event as i cannot expect any group to put on an LDWA event of 50 miles in Feb.

Janet

Many thanks for the heads up regarding the Carpet Baggers 50
I havent started transfering the RD (which looks a tad wooly at best) to a map. I wasn't about to start planning untill i spoke to Eric at least. Your warning is greatly recieved.

Once Annabel reads this i can see the Aylesbury one becoming favourable anyroad..

Aaron
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Fri 18th Oct 2013, 19:06
Local Group: Marches
a word of warning about the carpet baggers 50 - the route description is very out of date
Author: Michael French
Posted: Fri 18th Oct 2013, 12:23
Local Group: Staffordshire
Aaron. I have also been looking at long distance path routes for 100 training. Think you have stumbled on a good idea. I have pre-registered (I think) for next year's 100. If you want some company on any of the 50s that you do, please let me know.
PS I think I may have walked with you in this year's Woldsman with Tony (Leeds). Mick
Posted: Mon 14th Oct 2013, 13:27
Thanks Peter

Kent is a tad too far for an anytime challenge, I don't mind traveling for an organised 50 (Sussex, Norfolk and Suffolk this year. Not forgetting local East Yorks).

looking at the find a path feature, two have caught my eye for a 'guerrilla 50'....

Aylesbury Outer Ring
Carpet Baggers 50

Some time Feb in prep for Valleys100!
Author: Peter Richards
Posted: Mon 14th Oct 2013, 12:48
There is a Kent group Anytime Challenge in Feb The Four Pits Walk - which is circa 40 miles

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Four+Pits+Walk
Posted: Sat 5th Oct 2013, 23:23
Madeleine try out the find a path feature of this website its brill for reasearch. You have a number of 50's your neck of the woods The Calderdale 50 springs to mind or The Ripon Rowel int far away. That said The Danum Trail is on mi doorstep and The Peatlands Way even closer! !
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Sat 5th Oct 2013, 22:31
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Oo - I was going to do that - somewhere a bit nearer to home though. I haven't done the research yet.... Any ideas? Anyone else interested in joining me? Could do a cafe- crawl round West Yorks?!
Posted: Sat 5th Oct 2013, 22:25
Been thinking a lot about this thread. Am sure Norfolk n Suffolk have a good reason to ditch this years Poppyline. Tiss a shame like, i enjoyed last years event and i too like to get a fifty done in Feb and prob The Woldsman in April ready for 'the hundred' i admire N&SLDWA for putting a 50 on in Feb in the first place.

So i have used the cancelation to better understand this website. The 'long distance paths' tab with the find a path feature is ruddy brilliant.....
Found me a nice 50 round Aylesbury to do in Feb. Aylesbury Ramblers even give a route description n basic map feature on their website. Smashin ar Morris.

Thanks (Simon i think) for a super feature of the LDWA website.
Author: Ian Hull
Posted: Thu 3rd Oct 2013, 16:57
Local Group: South Pennine
I totally agree Graham . I was hoping to do the Poppyline & complete the Eastern Triple Challenge in 2014 but for some reason it’s not now going ahead despite there being very obvious interest in it . A shame to lose a fifty from the calendar too . Not sure if this means the Eastern TC is dead in the water .
Author: Graham Lightowler
Posted: Thu 3rd Oct 2013, 15:45
I wanted to do it too! Bring back The Poppyline!
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Wed 2nd Oct 2013, 23:46
Oh no! I was hoping that they were just late in getting it in the list. What a shame! That's my 100 training plan gone to pot.... (well not totally, but I had hoped to do it).
Author: Annabel Wood
Posted: Wed 2nd Oct 2013, 11:11
Local Group: London
Thanks, David.
I was hoping there'd be an official 50 in February or March as part of the build up to the Valleys 100 in May. Guess I'll be coming up with my own :o)
Annabel
Author: David Findel-Hawkins
Posted: Wed 2nd Oct 2013, 10:20
As stated on N&S website

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/NorfolkAndSuffolk/W/1409/n-s-events.html

there isn't going to be a Winter Poppyline in 2014. It may reappear in 2015.

50ml+ events in 2014 so far notified to me as Challenge Events sec and therefore listed under Events are:-

Wellington Boot & Woldsman both w/e 12/13 April
3 Rings of Shap 14/15 June
Wenlock Olympian Walk 19/20 July

I believe that Kent group are putting on Wealden Waters 100K 26/27July

If anyone knows of any others I'd be pleased to hear about it.
Author: Annabel Wood
Posted: Tue 1st Oct 2013, 17:33
Local Group: London
Does anyone know if the Winter Poppyline is going ahead this coming February?

If not are there any other 50mile challenge events planned for early 2014?

Many thanks

Annabel Wood

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law