Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Lands End to Berwick-on-Tweed

Author: Janet Chubb
Posted: Fri 10th Jan 2014, 16:24
Local Group: South of Scotland
Re My post about a planned charity walk from Lands End to John o'Groats, this idea has changed to 'Berwick to Berwick' - Berwick in Sussex to Berwick-on
Tweed. I want to go more or less straight up the middle, keeping off roads and high ground where poss. Any ideas? Also I shall be camping but am looking
for offers of accommodation to keep the costs down!
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Wed 4th Sep 2013, 11:49
Local Group: South Wales
Try Walk Highlands. It's a free website. You can build a route at 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 and then save the gpx track to your hard drive and then upload to a gps.
You can also import the gpx track to whatever other software you have such as MM or Tracklogs.
Author: Nic Arb
Posted: Sun 25th Aug 2013, 9:43
Local Group: Kent
I prefer Tracklogs to MM. It's much more flexible and easy to create routes with.
Author: Bryan Thorpe
Posted: Fri 23rd Aug 2013, 16:49
Local Group: North Yorkshire
This is a route I planned , the intention being to use only Long Distance Paths as per the Long Distance Walkers handbook.
Lands End - Minehead = South West Coastal Path
Minehead - Chepstow = Macmillan Way West , Monarchs Way , Cotswold Way and Gloucestershire Way
Chepstow - Llangollen = Offas Dyke Path
Llangollen - Edale = Maelor Way ,South Cheshire Way , Cheshire Ring Canal Walk , Tameside Trail and Trans Pennine Trail
Edale - Kirk Yetholm = Pennine Way
Kirk Yetholm - Lindisfarne = St. Cuthbert's Way
Lindisfarne - Berwick upon Tweed = Coastal Path.

bryan
Author: Philip Powell
Posted: Tue 2nd Jul 2013, 8:12
Local Group: Northumbria
I've been planning almost the reverse of your walk but still haven;t decided on walking or cycling - which makes micro-planning a tad difficult at the moment.Sorted out a rough cycling route across to Carlisle and then picking up the CTC YH route south.

Walking route ould be down the coast to Tynemouth, along the C2C to Waskerley and then over the moors to pick up the PW at Mddleton in Teesdale. Big gap at the moment from Edale south but would be looking to eventually connect up with the SWCP at Minehead.

Be interested to see your route.

I prefer Tracklogs to MM although it is almost 10 years since I last used MM so it may be diffferent now. At 1:500000, Tracklogs would cost ou c£100 to cover the route you'd be taking, At 1:25000, the cost would be horrendous!
Author: Janet Chubb
Posted: Fri 28th Jun 2013, 15:59
Local Group: South of Scotland
I'm planning this as a charity walk Spring 2014. It's doing my head in looking at all the route possibilities - Is it best to buy individual guides
(costing at least £100) or digital mapping ie Tracklogs? Is Tracklogs better than Memory Map? Any suggestions?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law