Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - 3 Rings of Shap

Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sat 22nd Jun 2013, 19:27
Local Group: Surrey
I agree, a great event, and thank you to Cumbria group.

I didn’t find the infrequent checkpoints a problem, and didn’t touch the extra food I’d brought along. Having the endpoint of each ring at Shap HQ works well, and I felt pampered there.

Mike, I can really recommend the 3 Rings. Each ring has its own character and challenges , and is completely different from any walk in the south. Ring 1 is mountainous: more or less a continuous gradually steepening climb to Branstree at about 8 miles, then the same (steep then flattening) in reverse, mostly though spectacular, wild Cumbrian mountain scenery. Ring 2 is mostly along river valleys and though parkland, and again beautiful, in a different way. The soil seems well drained, for in spite of recent rains, the route was far less muddy than it would have been in the south. Ring 3 is through moorland, much of it at night for walkers. It’s a tough event – I finished 3.5 hours later than at the equivalent point on the Hundred, in spite of the 3 Rings being a shorter walk.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Fri 21st Jun 2013, 11:47
Local Group: Dorset
That is good news, I really hope that there will a a tenth TROS

I think there are a number of us from Dorset, who have it on our LDWA "lifestyle to do list" next year. I am hoping to to the 100 Marshals Walk next year , which will give me a bit more time to recover before the 3 Rings
Author: Tony Deall
Posted: Fri 21st Jun 2013, 0:41
Local Group: Cumbria
I'm pleased you enjoyed the Event, Jim, especially the drinks stations!
These did not exist early in the history of the Rings but were set up after an especially hot day (these do occasionally happen in Shap!) when folks were wandering around in the last stages of dehydration!

Due to a scarcity of resources ie people to help, we have only ever been able to man one outside checkpoint on each Ring. This leaves us free to concentrate resources at HQ (Shap Village Hall) where we try to pamper our guests as much as possible.
Hope it worked for you.

I have just finished analysing the results and we had a record entry of 152 starters of whom a record 55 completed all three Rings.
Looks like we'll have to go for the tenth running next year!
Author: Jim Tinnion
Posted: Tue 18th Jun 2013, 7:08
Local Group: Marches
Yep, this was an excellent event. My girlfriend Zoe really enjoyed her first LDWA event and doubled her distance record in one go.

The first leg was surprisingly varied, and we particularly enjoyed the descent into Swindale past the waterfalls. The stretch along the River Livennet was so beautiful on the second leg that we slowed right down to make sure we enjoyed it, although the heavy rain later on the leg got us moving quickly to get back to Shap and some shelter.

We both made good use of the return to base to get a full set of dry clothing on before the third leg. I also patched my feet up as they've not been quite right since the 100. As we left on the third leg the runners were starting to finish, and the rain had stopped. The rain came back for an hour or so on what seemed like a very long climb to the monument, but after that it was dry and pleasant walking through the night to arrive back at Shap just after dawn.

Lovely route, highly recommended, and hopefully this will be a good stepping stone for Zoe on her way to the South Wales Hundred next year. Thanks to all involved.

PS: Loved the minimalist water points: http://flic.kr/p/ePaL6j
Author: John King
Posted: Sun 16th Jun 2013, 12:32
Thanks Tony and all of your team for yet another excellent event.
For me the change of route at Cliburn to the new checkpoint at the Strickland Arms in Great Strickland is a real plus in favour of ring 2.

Thanks again to all involved your efforts are really appreciated.

John King

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law