Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - e trex 10

Author: Lisa Gittins
Posted: Tue 2nd Jul 2013, 22:09
Local Group: Merseystride
The Garmin etrex 10 is a fantastic piece of kit. I've owned a GPS for 10+ years previously having broken 2 x Magellan sportraks due to water ingress, have to say the etrex 10 is amazing for the price and would recommend it to anyone as long as you have a bit of common sense and map awareness already then you can manage perfectly well without in built mapping. It has a great battery life on it too which i'm sure is not the case on the more advanced GPS.
Author: Nigel John Pearce
Posted: Tue 11th Jun 2013, 11:59
Local Group: South Wales
thanks simon
Author: Simon Leck
Posted: Tue 11th Jun 2013, 10:32
Local Group: Yorkshire Coast
Hi Nigel,

The eTrex 10 is a cheap and cheerful GPS, which will allow you to do exactly what you want, i.e. download a GPX track to the unit and then follow it on the screen. However like most things in life spending a few more pounds will vastly improve you experience. If you look at the more expensive units i.e. the Dakota 20, Oregon 450, Montana 600 or Oregon 600, you'll notice that you can buy 1-50K OS mapping for the them (in fact some come bundled with 1-50K mapping) and this will give a better experience using a GPS. Go Outdoors! normally have good deals for the Garmin GPS range and some come with bundled mapping. Unfortunately the eTrex 10 doesn't supporting mapping so will only give you basic GPS functionality.

Simon.
Author: Nigel John Pearce
Posted: Mon 10th Jun 2013, 21:13
Local Group: South Wales
i am new to long distance walking i usually run the trails but want to get my family fitter by taking them walking,whats a good hand held gps been looking at the e trex 10.i basically want to download a gpx file put it in the handheld and follow the route.will this do the job

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law