Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - sickness on overnight walks

Author: Richard Plumley
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 20:14
Local Group: Bristol & West
David This is worth a try ,when I had chemotherapy I was prescribed Motilium by the oncologyst so it holds no fear for me as I took it on neumerous occasions but forgotten about it ,walking through the night is bad enough when you feel fine let alone when you cant keep food down,thankyou for this tip.
Author: David Holland
Posted: Thu 30th May 2013, 19:10
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
I have sufffered from nausea, retching and much more for many years mainly but not exclusively as the night progresses. I have sought advice from endless medical practioners and Consultants at significant cost. For what its worth the best I can offer is as follows. For some of you it could just solve your problems.
The reason why it happens is not fully understood. However through the night it is almost certainly due to the body and the gut naturally going into slow motion, and by habit not expecting food or exercise. Walking through the night involves exercise and processing food. The brain gets in a mess as to what its supposed to be doing and the result is nausea etc.
To combat this requires taking an anti-emetic drug which speeds up the peristaltic action of the gut to more like daytime levels and sends blocking signals to the brain to stop nausea. There are several such drugs but one of particular use to us is Motilium (Domperidone). This can somewhat surprisingly be be bought over the counter ( not available in USA!). It works best if taken before you begin to have symptoms. The more common use of this drug is for treating nausea caused by gastroenteritis, chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
The doseage in the packet will say one 10mg tablet every 8 hours. However when prescribed one every 4 hours is fairly common.
A caution........if you suffer from IBS or similar you could have a problem as I have found. For IBS etc you may be taking Loperamide to slow the gut down......whereas Motilium speeds it up. Statistically 2.4% of people taking Motilium will find they have substitued nausea for diarrhoea. But generally adverse effects are rare.
Motilium stops my nausea problems and I know others have found the same. Definitely worth a try.
I must stress that I have no medical training. Just found this out by consultations and research. You must make up your own mind and take medical advice if you think appropriate.
Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 21:50
Local Group: Heart of England
.......whoops!....meant to finish by saying I'll be trying Rebecca's drinks approach the next time I walk at night.

And thanks to the organisers and helpers for what felt like a fabulous event for the first 55 miles!
Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 21:46
I got this nausea - plus inability to face food, weakness, disorientation (just like jet lag) for the first time in my walking career between Luckett and Tavistock on Saturday night. At the breakfast stop I had to "pretend" exhaustion and put my head between my knees for 10 minutes to prevent fainting and being forced out by the concerned helpers. 45 minutes later could just make it out through the door. Keith from Surrey rescued the day at Princetown, warning me when I staggered over the road in front of traffic, cajoling me out of CPs, encouraging me to sleep in a shady field corner for 15 minutes and in the last 6 miles, when I had got a second wind, telling me to go ahead - and I'm ashamed to say I did. What a complete star.

As to why I contracted the mystery condition, it felt like an extreme form of the "bonk" you get in cycling, when blood sugar levels suddenly plummet. After some weeks out of action with injury and having to pull out of all events after early April (including Woldsman and Giant) I suspect I simply didn't have the base fitness for the 100. That said, I'll certainly be trying the
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 17:51
John,it probably was not salt replacement ,my fellow walker Bob gave me a sachet of somthing containing potasium as a supliment ,proper stuff ,not quite sure its technical name but this was at cp1 so definetly had no bearing on sickness as this is the first time we have tried this out ,he had the same it replaces what we loose as we sweat a lot.I have been sick on every night walk since 2011 probably 7 walks in total although was fine eating on night walks for 10 years before that
Author: John Pennifold
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 16:31
Local Group: London
Richard. Salt tablets? Do you really need these? One way to make somebody vomit is to give them salty water. Maybe that's the problem? If you must have salt, then maybe it woukld be better to use a sports drink which contains salt, but already in solution rather than a tablet which might cause local agravation to the stomach.
Posted: Wed 29th May 2013, 10:13
Peter,this sounds more like exhaustion sickness rather than under or over drinking ,I keep hydrated and took salt replacement tablets along the route,I have had cancer 10 years ago which stopped my walking but gradually got going again to the point of trying my first 100 in 2007,I notice I seem to have to work much harder than most other walkers to cover the same distance also perspire perfusley which does not help but I can eat fine during the day and until recently at night but since 2011 get sickness on every night walk I dont think there is a magic cure and am hoping with a good couple of ideas brought up on this thread that it con be minimised
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 23:23
Local Group: East Lancashire
anything here Richard...?

click here

You come into a feeding station - the exercise stops abruptly, and you eat. You are sick.

or

Over hydration

or

Dehydration

Hope you find the answer.

Peter
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 21:26
Thanks Girls,I dont think its travel sickness as I only ever had this once ,that was on board a small boat out at sea fishing off barmouth in north wales when a major storm blew up and I thought I was about to meet Davey Jones!
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 20:31
Local Group: Marches
Certainly worth a try.I never used to have any problems eating at night and it started quite suddenly.As long as you have an alternative so you don't end up with low blood sugar you hopefully will be ok.I can recommend 'for goodness shakes' powders- mix with water and you have all the nutrients you need without putting pressure on your digestive system that solid food would.Another thought is- motion sickness caused by peoples headtorches who are walking behind you. A few years ago i went through a spell of having to let everyone pass me at night as their torches bobbing around behind me made me feel travel sick....
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 19:41
I had the exact problems this year after the cheese cob at bolventor and pastie at calling ton which they gave me the runs terrible . After that I stuck to crumpets toast and jam and smash.smash works for me this is light to Carry and easy to mix at the checkpoints with hot water . I did have two turkey wraps which was delirious at huccaby farm ( checkpoint reminded me from a scene of the film the hobit at 5am sunday )could resist
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 19:23
Rebecca,I think you may have the answer no food after tea time until next morning this will be tried out soon as I am in for the wow and sussex stride which I must complete to get the triple.Luckily enough I will not give up without a fight [and probably not tell my wife too much either]
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 16:25
Hope you manage to crack the problem...all my family think I'm nuts and ought to do short rambles....I had to lie about where I was going when I did my first 100 and hide the certificate....maybe your system has just changed and you just cant get away with eating at night now...hope it doesn't cause you to throw in the towel.
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 15:37
Rebecca,thankyou for your reply,unfortunatly I never eat fried food we grill everything that could be fried,I was a shift worker for 30 years and never had any problem eating all around the clock,walking is a funny passtime just as you think you have gotten over a problem a bigger one comes along,I started the hundred in great pain with a 5 month ankle injury which wont go away ,sickness on both nights which was no fun at all and a very painful knee due to the cold night pulling a muscle or something .I enjoy the challenge but my wife constantly reminds me that a GENTLE stroll in the park is theraputic especially with a pub stop at the end,I am starting to believe she may be right ,heaven forbid
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 13:57
I have thrown up on every 100 after the breakfast stop and found a remedy that works for me meaning that the last 2 100's I've been nausea free. this is worth a try for you.The key is watch what you eat. Anything greasy or fatty is out.It is as if all the blood is in my muscles so anything remotely difficult to digest brings on nausea.Now,instead of enjoying a fry up at the breakfast stop I just have a meal replacement drink and sip it slowly.Like you the nausea tends to only be at night or first thing in the morning but to be fair to your body if you got up at 3am normally and tried to eat something,it would be a shock to your system.Also watch caffeine as this can irritate your stomach,especially if you are using it to wash down ibruprofen.I nearly blew it on this 100 as I succumbed to the Cornish pasty which brought on the dreaded dizzyness and nausea but it passed in an hour. So in essence,watch fatty food,consider meal replacement drinks for the night section when your system isn't used to having a large meal,avoid caffeine. Hope this helps
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 13:54
Thanks Dave anything is worth a try,do you still suffer with this or as you just did the hundred having overnight sessions did you take the ginger,I am interested to see if this problem goes away in its own time
Author: David Williams
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 11:15
Local Group: South Wales
When I used to suffer from night nausea I found crystallised ginger a great help; take it when you begin to feel unwell, or take it occasionally throughout the walk to hopefully avoid the problem altogether.
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 10:17
Paul,you have managed to make me cry with your reply,there seems no remedy for this dreded curse I drink loads of fluid during the day so definetly not dehidrated but at night drinking any fluid sets of the heaving syndrome ,the only thing is I will not give in to it as I am desperate to do 10 hundreds even if it kills me!
Author: W. Paul Tremere
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 9:29
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Although I’ve not completed a hundred for ten years, I also suffered from the dreaded night sickness.
Despite seeking lots of advice I never managed to discover the cause or find an effective remedy.
Eventually, I thought that it may be linked to dehydration. So, drinking at every opportunity, to keep fluid levels high did seem to have a marginal effect.
But, why did the sickness only occur at night? Surely dehydration occurs in the daytime too?
Eventually, I just put up with it, knowing that daylight would bring relief.
I now include a pub stop on walks, just in case. (OK, I know alcohol increases dehydration, but I no longer walk through the night!)
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 8:36
Thanks David thats really cheered me up! yuk
Posted: Tue 28th May 2013, 7:31
Had the same problem the whole time I was challenge walking and never got over it, normally kicked in around thirty - forty miles and got worse when I got to a CP. It really did spoil a lot of my walks over fifty miles and I never found an answer too it.
PS I wasn't involved in any way in the 100 but I was thinking of those that were
Posted: Mon 27th May 2013, 17:17
I seem to be suffering on a regular basis with sickness on all overnight walks and its getting more violent spoiling the walk. history is did not get sickness at all until early 2011 but now this is such a regular occourance im being called the sick man of the ldwa.I can eat during the day no problem,but if I continue in the night o dear I im in trouble,on the hundred just done I had very little to eat 4 rolls with ham and tomato during daylight,apple pie and custard about8 pm but at midnight had a cerial bar and instantly up it came .so breakfast stop i had cornflakes and fruit salad ,beans on toast at6pm and thats all ,not really enough for a hundred but I am now not eating at all at night to overcome it I take ibuprofon 400 mg tablets about every5 hours my doctor really did not have any answers except might be the tablets but
ive taken these for years without problems before 2011,does any other walker suffer with this , I have tried coke cola but this time that had no effect please help as I running out of friends !

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law