Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Potty training

Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Tue 21st May 2013, 8:28
Local Group: Surrey
There you go, Amanda: Janet has summed it up neatly for you
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Tue 21st May 2013, 7:59
Local Group: Marches
Typical - a delicate post from a new lady member about discreet peeing and pooing and the thread is taken over by a load of men worrying about their bottom cracks and cross dressing. I hope this demonstrates to you Amanda that there is no problem having a quiet pee on an LDWA walk - all the men will be too wrapped up in their own concerns to notice you.
Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Mon 20th May 2013, 23:03
Local Group: Heart of England
Ian

Hope there will be no restriction on this fascinating topic - I'd have to keep my culinary advice on the best way to slow cook a steak to myself. Apropos "doing a Beckham" with the wife's underwear, my first job was as a dyeman in a Leicestershire stocking factory and I remember being told that the bottom fell out of the market when tights came along - make of that what you will!
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Mon 20th May 2013, 20:17
Local Group: East Yorkshire
we just need some bloke to say that he wears his wife's tights during the winter for warmth

A lot of outside workers do wear male type tights in winter. It's the ones that wear stockings you have to worry about.
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Mon 20th May 2013, 20:00
Local Group: Northumbria
We just need some bloke to say that he wears his wife's tights during the winter for warmth and we'll start to attract a whole new group of walkers (I've tried, they don't fit)
Posted: Mon 20th May 2013, 18:25
PS, I do know that this thread is being monitored because of it's subject matter. So go careful on what you post.

ian.
Posted: Mon 20th May 2013, 18:21
Mmm yes and no one has mentioned the dreadly monthlies which are really best not dealt with in the open.... One benefit of older age!

I can't see many male members giving advice on that one. :-)
Author: Madeleine Watson
Posted: Mon 20th May 2013, 18:14
Local Group: West Yorkshire
Mmm yes and no one has mentioned the dreadly monthlies which are really best not dealt with in the open.... One benefit of older age!
Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Mon 20th May 2013, 17:47
I think vaseline is too "dry" - you wouldn't want to see what it can do to the chamois inserts of cycling shorts! Sudocrem works brilliantly and is specifically intended for babies' (and others') bums. Alternatively, you could insert a nice raw steak between the offending parts, as old-style professional cyclists used to do - should be cooked nicely by the finish!
Posted: Mon 20th May 2013, 17:41
Mike, next time your near a Tesco's buy a 150ml tub of Nappy Cream at £1-47. It works wonders. Wife as told me that you can buy it from a pound shop for a £1.

ian.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Mon 20th May 2013, 14:47
Local Group: Dorset
Although this is sometimes dismissed as trivial a problem, I know from experience that this kind of soreness and tissue irritation is very painful and can be disabling. It is not entirely clear to me what causes it, but I think that heat, excessive sweat (too salty and acid?) and of course an upset stomach (not surprising on a 48 hour event) must be the principal suspects. Does vaseline or similar work??
Author: Dr. John Batham
Posted: Sun 19th May 2013, 15:56
Brings me to part-recall a quote from - I think - some French philosopher (but what do I know as a tekkie) - "everybody has to poop" (obviously learnt his English in the USA). The Ramblers have their bizarre regimentation - eg "ladies to the rear" at loo stops. Maybe just the British who have these toilet hang-ups? The really embarrassing times are if constipation strikes - eg false alarm! - and you could find yourself a mile or so off pace without route knowledge.....
Posted: Sun 19th May 2013, 6:40
I was lambasted by a English couple in Austria 3 years ago. They told me that I'd broken the first two golden rules of walking.
1. walking in trainers. 2. walking on my own in the mountains. I politely told them that they did not know what there were talking about. The first 2 rules of walking are.......... Always have some bum cream and toilet paper in your rucksack. I was told that I was talking dirty and I was not a proper walker and should not be allowed out on the mountains on my own. I will not tell you what my answer was ;-)

Re ladies going to the toilet. Nobody gives a dam. Just go off route and do it lass.
Author: Mike Rayner
Posted: Sun 19th May 2013, 5:57
Local Group: Northumbria
Amanda. Even if you are on an event, if you go off route for a short distance you'll (probably) not be disturbed, Walls, woods, bushes and hedges will provide any screening you want. On a group walk tell the leader or the tail ender and just wait until the group's out of sight, They should slow down or stop and wait for you.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sat 18th May 2013, 23:23
Local Group: Mid Wales
........and another thing...... Germoline, never leave home without it. Great for all manner of chafing, sore bum syndrome, thistle scratches, sore feet et al. Jane
Author: Rebecca Lawrence
Posted: Sat 18th May 2013, 15:36
I suffered with chaffing on the poppyline50 when it was held in aug. It was a really hot day and I felt on fire.I dropped my pants and trousers to get some relief as I was walking as no one was behind us....so I thought.after 5 mins I turned round to discover I'd been mooning at a walker behind me....
Posted: Sat 18th May 2013, 10:32
You may also want one of these: http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/sea_to_summit_ipood_pocket_trowel.html

Excellent bit of kit if you want to 'dig a hole'. We bought ours in Australia and it always comes with us when camping/treking.

I do know a runner (who shall remain nameless) who manages to pee and jog at the same time, but I don't advise this for most men, and certainly not for women. Matt.
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Sat 18th May 2013, 10:22
Local Group: East Lancashire
I agree. Personal hygiene on the fly is very important. Chaffing can be a show stopper.

Also, How to $*it in the Woods, Second Edition: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art is better in the rucksack, rather than on the bookshelf, especially as it is a handy sized paperback... ;)
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Sat 18th May 2013, 8:45
Local Group: Surrey
And while we are on the topic:
For those whose suffer from painful chafing along the crevice of the anus during the Hundred: wash it with plain water and dry, before the start and every 30 miles or so. I carry a tiny plastic bottle for this purpose. The method works wonders.
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Sat 18th May 2013, 8:25
Just squat down and be careful not to sit on a thistle. For a more wide ranging discussion of the number 2 topic see
How to Shit in the Woods, Second Edition: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art [Paperback]
Kathleen Meyer (available on Amazon)
A book with a title like that has to be on ones bookshelf
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Fri 17th May 2013, 22:22
Funny enough I got caught a few weeks ago while needed a number 2 by some ladies on horses . They didn't blink an eye
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Fri 17th May 2013, 22:00
Local Group: East Lancashire
Amanda, a Gentleman wouldn't look, so there should be no problems whilst walking with the LDWA. ;)
Posted: Fri 17th May 2013, 18:01
Get a big, light, long poncho, (you can get cammo ones) then you just disappear behind the nearest bush or hedge or tussuck. I've got beyond being embarrassed or embarrassing others, I just attempt a bit of discretion and hope for the best. I employ the 'eyes straight ahead' look when catching up with another walker who is taking a pit stop and totally ignore them. Jane Hand
Author: Amanda Wright
Posted: Fri 17th May 2013, 12:40
Local Group: Staffordshire
I have just got back into walking after a substantial break and find that I am limiting myself psychologically to walks that are relatively close to a loo of some description as I am older now and don't fancy bearing my arse - or indeed other bits of my anatomy to the general public (not that I ever did when I was younger, either) - and I wonder if you seasoned walkers can give me any ideas on what you use for 'crappin' and a peeing discreetly'?

I know about Sheewee, but don't fancy them, and wotsit Johns ... is there anything else out there I don't know about?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law