Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - Anyone for New Zealand

Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Sun 23rd Feb 2014, 10:25
Local Group: Mid Wales
The one time I lost the main track (on my final day tramping) after a fastish descent from Mt Rintoul. Was wandering down a river bed, wading the river and looking for a way out. Clambered up a steep bank out of the river and into some scrub.........…and hey presto!

If I had been carrying my tent, more chocolate and a packet of rizzlas I could have still been there.

Soon as I managed to hitch back to civilisation I checked it out on Google. The spot is indelibly etched in my brain for the next trip.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Thu 20th Feb 2014, 20:47
Local Group: Dorset
Hi Matt, about this hidden marijuana plantation, that you accidentally "found yourself" in ? Did it take long to spot on Google Earth, before you left for New Zealand ?
Posted: Wed 19th Feb 2014, 14:12
Just arrived home after 7 weeks out there, brilliant. Did some great routes, being able to tramp for 6 days and only see 3 people is my idea of heaven. Would recommend it to everyone and I managed without the cost of a car, though at first it seemed a little strange to be a 60+ year old hitchhiker, thought I gave that up as a teenager!

Too many highlights to mention, though finding myself in a hidden marijuana plantation was probably the "highest" highlight. Matt.
Posted: Fri 20th Dec 2013, 10:50
Mrs Mole shall be staying at home looking after the tortoises (currently living under the woodburner) - as they do. Plus the Quail that is hopping about the living room - as they do.

But don't anyone worry about me, I shall cope as best I can!!
Author: Janet Pitt-Lewis
Posted: Thu 19th Dec 2013, 21:06
Local Group: Marches
Well Moley, I can see that you are not adjusting to retirement at all - clearly displacement activity to take your mind off your yearning to return to the sociable world of employment
You lucky so and so - and is Mrs Moley accompanying you?
Posted: Thu 19th Dec 2013, 9:56
Well, I fly out on Dec 30th for 7 weeks. How excited am I!!!!!

I have a base with a running friend (from the Dragons Back race last year) in Nelson, S. Island and from there I shall head into the hills with my rucksack and fishing rod for a week at a time. And a bit of faster running on trails. And trout fishing in the mountains. And Steve has promised to take me sea Kyaking. And drinking wine. And sun.

I need to finish packing, see you all in the spring to prepare for the 100.
Matt.
Posted: Wed 1st May 2013, 9:02
I have e-mailed you, but I'm away on an adventure (Welsh old county tops) from now till next Wednesday. Matt.
Author: Margaret C Swann
Posted: Wed 1st May 2013, 8:53
Local Group: Merseystride
A friend of mine is looking to form a small group to go trekking in New Zealand next January. He is fit, friendly and late fifties and wants to meet others who would be keen to share costs, ideas and adventures. He would like to do both islands, some classic treks, some others and some hutting. It would be a great trip and I would go but have already been three times. I am donating road map and books.
Please get in touch with some contact details if you would be interested and want to discuss some ideas. He is based in the north west but that is not a limitation.
Margie Swann

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law