Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Camel-Teign - advice on starting time

Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Sun 14th Apr 2013, 17:13
Local Group: Sherwood
Having just returned from a reccie of the route, I have noted that the most difficult section navigationally was the final part of Bodmin Moor after North Hill (I was walking alone in moderately dense fog, and for all I know the organisers may be planning to put out some waymarks on the day, but as things stood finding the way over the unmarked terrain here was quite a challenge.) I would therefore see it as quite a high priority to attempt to complete this section before dark - possibly another argument for the earlier rather than the later start!
Author: Ian Walker
Posted: Wed 10th Apr 2013, 7:51
Local Group: South Wales
Thank you, David and Ian - that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I'll be there for the early start and will try to pace myself sensibly!
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Tue 9th Apr 2013, 16:59
Local Group: East Yorkshire
Hi Ian, first hundred then go for the early start mate. Set a nice pace that suits you. Don't be tempted to walk faster just to keep up and don't walk slow just to keep somebody company. I myself did my last one in 2004. (Exmoor) and what we (John Wood and myself) did was to let all the others rush off into the distance. We set a pace between 31/2 to 33/4 MPH. We even made time a at least one pub stop and maybe a bar meal on the Saturday night. During the night and on Sunday we continued at the same pace when other in front slowed down. Out of the ten hundreds I did, apart from the last one we always finished in daylight on Sunday evening.

So what I'm saying is, walk it to suit yourself, but most of all savory the event. If you muck it up because you set off to fast you've got a whole 12 months to go before you can give it another try.

Ian.
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Tue 9th Apr 2013, 14:39
Walking fast over 25 miles is one thing. Keeping that up over a 100 miles is something totally different. The pace at the startb of a 100 is always rapid as people get drawn along, and as it's a flat start with no stiles etc, this year will be no exception.
You do need to look at the opening times of the early cp's. If you think your pace will get you there before they open, then go for the later start. But, otherwise, go with the main pack.
If you want to walk with fewer people around you, go for the later cp.
Hope this helps!!
Author: Ian Walker
Posted: Tue 9th Apr 2013, 13:51
This year's 100 will be my first, so I'm after some advice from the old hands who've done one (or more!) before. I can't decide whether to go for the normal start or the fast walkers' start. I'm normally a relatively fast walker, which obviously suggests the later start, but as a 100 is new to me and I don't know how I'll get on, should I play it safe and go for the earlier start? What would people recommend?

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law