Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Gear ! - LDP route finding

Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Thu 7th Mar 2013, 18:38
Local Group: Heart of England
Yes I also follow Eltons advice . I own a garmin with topo maps on and only use once I absolutely need it. I use the OS Explorer maps but instead of folding the map and ruining it I take photos of the sections I need save them to a disc then get them printed out at boots (6x4 prints) this way I can draw the route on the pictures without ruining the map. Also there easier to hold
Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Wed 6th Mar 2013, 21:57
Local Group: East Lancashire
Posted: Wed 6th Mar 2013, 21:57
Elton. Thank you!!!

Very informative.

90 views and no response - then yours. Much appreciated. A lot to take in there. :)

Peter
Author: Elton Ellis
Posted: Wed 6th Mar 2013, 21:01
Local Group: Surrey
Posted: Sun 24th Feb 2013, 23:18
Hi Folks

Now that I am retired, I am thinking of undertaking some LDPs in the future (aren't we all...) before its too late...

I need guidance on the best approach to GPS hardware/software for the journey(s) please.

I have always relied on paper maps, but my son recently bought me a Sat Map, which I like, but seems to take an age to pick up the GPS signal (compared with his phone, which locks on in a very short space of time)

My question is what are peoples experiences and recommendations re electronic/GPS route finding on the longer LDPs?

There will be issues like battery life, weight, recharging devices, the relative cost of mapping software, waterproofness of devices, etcetera.

I hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere, although I did a cursory search before posting.

Regards

Peter

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law