Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - The Bothy - An observation !

Author: Peter Steckles
Posted: Tue 12th Feb 2013, 21:51
Local Group: East Lancashire
...the problem with setting off early is...

...that you have to know where you are going... ;)
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Tue 12th Feb 2013, 21:13
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
Martin,
I agree with Mathew & Jane. I'm not interested in time as such, just walk quick as you can, your time will be quicker the more walking you do.
I walk with a friend who for personal reason's needs to get home early, therefore sometimes we set off early. The focus is the walk route, scenery, and a pleasant day meeting friends, from affar on these occasions.
My take on early starts, which i don't do every walk.
Whatever you do ENJOY.
Author: Matthew Hand
Posted: Mon 11th Feb 2013, 19:50
Local Group: Mid Wales
The first thing is that it isn't a race so it doesn't matter (to most). There is a tendancy for some to sneak off before the official start, which misses the breifing and any changes etc. Equally some know they are slow walkers or runners, have travelled a long way, want to return early, before dark etc. I've done it myself. Jane is walking a 10 - 15 and I'm running a 25 so I get a head start to arrive back about the same time and not be waiting about for each other.
I know it's bad practice as you may go through unmanned checkpoints, but it does happen and has no bearing on how you want to run the route. Get on and run it as you want, there are no prizes for arriving back first.
Author: Martin Southwick
Posted: Mon 11th Feb 2013, 8:44
Local Group: Lincolnshire
Folks . . .
As a new member to the LDWA, and having done three events this year so far, can someone explain the following to me please.?
Like many others, im interested in how long it takes myself to get over certain distances/events.
Whilst we arent all competetive, times are given out for the distances we have just covered. To that end, im guessing we all swap stories of the event we have just done and maybe try to beat our previous time in next years event. Im guessing too that there may be some friendly rivalry between a lot of folks, and the times they have just achieved. (For me personally, im collecting my times at present and as I get fitter/stronger, will try and get "over the ground" quicker next year)

To that end, why do some people seem to want to "jump the gun" at the start of the event, and simply start the event at their own free will (Its happened in all three I've done so far, by as much as 5/10 minutes) ??

I realise the LDWA is very laid back, and this probably doesnt matter to most folks (although I guessing it will matter more to guys who are runners and do have "rivals")

Am I being pedantic ?

Please note this isnt a complaint, but an observation.

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law