Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - Training for the 100

Author: David Morgan
Posted: Tue 13th May 2014, 12:01
Local Group: South Wales
I rarely do more than a 30 miler.
Training is an all round year thing. If you're doing 25 miles once or twice a month, with loads of 5 miles per day I.E. dog walking and get on the hills walk hard, then you're ready for a 100.
It's ALL in the head!!
Author: Brian Bolton
Posted: Fri 9th May 2014, 10:58
Local Group: Thames Valley
Many thanks for your advice. My friendly GP has also been helpful with the painkillers that she has prescribed.
I am currently trying to get an appointment with the sports injury clinic who prescribed the custom made footbeds for my Meindl walking shoes to address Plantar Faciitis that I have in one foot which with 4 pages of exercises each day is under control.
If the worst comes to the worst re this year's 100 I do have a qualifier for next year's 100!
Author: Neil Bromley
Posted: Thu 8th May 2014, 10:28
Local Group: Heart of England
Brian

See a sports physio urgently and get your shins professionally taped, if appropriate. Use ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory (a friendly GP prescibed me something stronger). Ice regularly and rest - DON'T go near so-called remedial exercises without your physio's advice. If they're bad, accept you probably won't be walking and get in touch with David Morgan to volunteer so you're not stuck at home over the week-end of the 100 feeling sorry for yourself!. I got a bad dose early April last year and had 6 weeks without walking, starting again only the week before the 100. I decided to go section by section, expecting to have to retire at some point. I managed to finish, but in a really bad state and I certainly wouldn't do it again.

Good luck

Neil
Author: Brian Bolton
Posted: Thu 8th May 2014, 8:47
Local Group: Thames Valley
Shin Splints
With the "100" less than 3 weeks away I have now developed shin splints! apart from rest and icing what other forms of treatment have you found that have worked for you - particularly short term solutions!
Brian
Author: Roy Turner
Posted: Tue 12th Feb 2013, 20:34
Local Group: Vermuyden (South Yorks)
I agree with my colleages, 25mls every wk-end, get's in the stamina/routine, with a break of a week or fortnight before the 100, suits me.
This break builds me up mentally and physically, can't wait to get out walking and fresh air.
The decision is what suit's you, and enjoy!!
Good luck.
Roy.
Author: Tony Willey
Posted: Thu 7th Feb 2013, 15:39
Local Group: Lakeland
I find that Mike's technique works for me. There is no need to do huge mileages leading up to a Hundred. You have already done at least a 50 miler so you don't have to keep proving you can do it, and putting in big mileages increases the risk of injury as I found to my cost (shin splints) leading up to my first Hundred.
I would only add that the training miles ahould be quality ones. I am fortunate in doing most of my walking in the Cumbria fells. All that ascent seems to be a big help to my stamina in the second half of a Hundred.
Author: Michael Childs
Posted: Thu 7th Feb 2013, 13:19
Local Group: Dorset
Take a look in the Useful and Interesting Articles section of the LDWA library.

The "Survivors Guide to Hundreds" (by Ken Falconer) is well worth checking out, as are some of the "practicals" notes.

Personally, I now find that regularly walking medium distances (e.g. 10 - 15 - 25 miles) - as often as possible - does the job. That is baseline I need to start from. I avoid doing anything 50 miles + in the month before a Hundred, as this can be quite a drain on my energy level (more than may be apparent at the time)
Author: Richard Plumley
Posted: Thu 7th Feb 2013, 11:51
Local Group: Bristol & West
I walk with my friend Bob who organises the training schedule prior to the hundred ,we are in for 3 challenge walks of approx30 miles and one 62 miler in april ,this is where the serious training is done then in may we only do one 27 mile event two weeks before the hundred ,this works for us as we are slower walkers taking 43 hours average to complete the hundred you must be physically and mentally fresh when the big day comes ,everybody is different though best of luck on camel-teign,enjoy
Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Wed 6th Feb 2013, 22:42
Local Group: Heart of England
Just wondering what the furthest training run/ walk most people do in the lead up to the 100. Last year I trained for the London marathon as normal then did a 50 mile beginning of may and my feet never recovered and I suffered at the games 100 . Any ideas and how soon before the 100 when to do your last big walk / run would be grateful

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law