Latest News: Read more

Discussion Forum - Long Distance Paths - Iona to Lindisfarne

Author: Paul Truswell
Posted: Tue 22nd Jan 2013, 11:26
Local Group: South Manchester
Has anyone walked from Iona to Lindisfarne? a walk I am hoping to do some time this year. I do all of my LDW solo and thus far I have only ever been on waymarked national trails having completed Southern Upland Way, West Highland Way, Offa’s Dyke, most of the Pennine Way and the Lake District section of Wainwrights CtoC walk from St Bees Head to Orton.

There are sections of the journey from Iona to Lindisfarne which can be done by following part of the West Highland Way (Tyndrum to Milngavie), one day on the Southern Upland Way and thence onto the St Cuthbert’s Way. The parts I would particularly welcome advice on are from Iona across Mull to Tyndrum (particularly how to get past Ben Cruachan without being forced to traverse its ridge – is following the main road through the Pass of Brander the only option?) and the best route to follow between Glasgow and Edinburgh to avoid built up areas as much as is possible.

I am reckoning on about 17 days to do the route carrying a one man tent etc but will use BB’s if the opportunity presents itself :)

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law