Latest News: The LDWA 50th Hundred Read more

Discussion Forum - Events - 2013 HUNDRED LOGISTICS APPEAL.

Author: Mark Garratt
Posted: Mon 28th Jan 2013, 9:13
Local Group: Heart of England
Thanks Hazel
Author: Terry Bound
Posted: Mon 28th Jan 2013, 0:22
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
Remember the starts are 0930; 1130 and 1330 this is at the request of the Camel Trail organisation

Hazel
Posted: Sun 27th Jan 2013, 13:48
Yes ill look out for you also , ill be easy to spot white cap and long white knee high compression socks . not sure what time I'm going to start yet 10 am or 11.30 am I have a look more closer when the route is released .
Author: Armorel Young
Posted: Fri 25th Jan 2013, 19:49
Local Group: Sherwood
Thanks for the offer - I might try and spot you at Wadebridge to say hello!
Posted: Thu 24th Jan 2013, 22:22
Not sure what time well both finish (if with me ) but if were both at the finish yoy can always grab a lift with us back to the travelodge
Posted: Thu 24th Jan 2013, 17:35
I've booked Wadebridge and Torquay Travelodges too - am planning to do it by public transport so will need taxi to Torquay, but seems doable.
Posted: Wed 23rd Jan 2013, 21:33
I have booked the travelodge at wade bridge on Friday night and the Torquay travel lodge for the Sunday night . My wife will do the transport between . I have booked the coach but will cancel this week as I didn't fancy the early morning travel also
Posted: Wed 23rd Jan 2013, 10:05
Rod's point is nevertheless a good one - that there's a lot to be said for spending Friday night in Wadebridge and hence avoiding the early start to get the bus on Saturday morning. I realise that the journey from Teignmouth to Wadebridge can be done by public transport (involving changing at Newton Abbott and Bodmin Parkway), but I wonder if there would be sufficient takers for a coach or minibus from Teignmouth to Wadebridge at about 6 p.m. on Friday evening (arranged either by the organisers or privately by a group of walkers). I for one could be interested - and it would avoid the need in Rod's plan to return to Wadebridge to pick up a car after the event.
Author: Terry Bound
Posted: Tue 22nd Jan 2013, 14:46
Local Group: Cornwall & Devon
The Camel-Teign Ivor's Dream 100 organising committee are arranging transport for any end baggage to be brought back directly from Wadebridge to Teignmouth. If you didn't let us know on your entry form and now need this service please contact us.

Likewise we have seven 50 - seater coaches on hire to leave Teignmouth from 0600 - 0630 to take all those booked to Wadebridge. As it's the Bank Holiday weekend there wont be any later departures for the 1130 and 1330 starts. If you have booked on the coach and are now making alternative arrangements please let us know so we can adjust our coach bookings.

Hazel, Chair Organising C'ttee
Posted: Sun 20th Jan 2013, 21:29
Anyone found any suitable hotels in Teignmouth where it might be acceptable to arrive very late on Sunday (i.e. early on Monday morning, such as 2 a.m.)? - as far as I can see virtually all the accommodation in Teignmouth is small hotels and guesthouses where they like you to arrive at a civilised time; I haven't yet found anywhere with a reception desk open 24 hours, which would be the ideal.
Posted: Sat 19th Jan 2013, 20:50
Yes I'm in the travelodge too along with my wife who is my support for the event . Maybe we could get a group e mail together and get a pasta party for the night before in the ajacent restertant
Author: Rod Spindler
Posted: Sat 19th Jan 2013, 19:40
Local Group: Norfolk & Suffolk
check this out David, they still have several rooms from £40. ;-

http://securebooking.eviivo.com/MyWebsite/details.aspx?viewname=onlinebooking&startdate=24/05/2013&nights=1&adults1=1&industrytype=1&children1=0&shortname=HalfwayPL27&__utma=1.1799719617.1358450232.1358509647.1358624320.3&__utmb=1.1.10.1358624320&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1358624320.3.3.utmcsr&__utmv=-&__utmk=175364002
Author: David Morgan
Posted: Sat 19th Jan 2013, 19:08
Local Group: South Wales
Re B&B's in Wadebridge. I found that they wanted a minimum of two nights as it's a BH weekend. I managed to get a room in the Travel Lodge too. Based on what I've heard, most of the LDWA will be in the Travel Lodge!!!
Thanks for that advice Deidre. I'll take a peek at that for myself coming from South Wales with a couple of changes.
Author: Louise Whittaker
Posted: Sat 19th Jan 2013, 17:49
Local Group: Staffordshire
I have met only two other persons taking the 'red eye'/coach trip. Seems most folks are exercising their brains in trying to avoid it. Can anyone else taking the coach 'SHOUT' [just to know there are more than three of us, would be comforting!!!]
Posted: Fri 18th Jan 2013, 17:00
Thankyou Philip, I also use East Coast but just lately have used TaketheTrain.co. I have set my ticket alert with The Trainline, although I will not be purchasing with them. Most companys release cheap tickets 12 weeks before, although some are 10 or 11 weeks.
Author: Philip Powell
Posted: Fri 18th Jan 2013, 16:43
Local Group: Northumbria
Cheap tickets for 24 May should be released on 1 March. I get my tickets through http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/ for travel down to Cornwall and set an alert so they notify me when the cheap tickets are released - none of the other companies that I travel with seem to offer this free service.

Return from Durham to Redruth was £60 last August!
Posted: Fri 18th Jan 2013, 12:57
Thanks for the helpful advice Deirdre. Well done on getting a good price, but like you say you can't get prices for May yet. Yes I have been looking at split ticketing, using the method suggested by 'Moneysavingexpert', so I haven't given up on rail travel yet, and am still investigating bus travel.
I have booked cheap accommodation in Wadebridge, but not the one I wanted. Yesterday morning Travelodge Wadebridge had a double room for £33, but I faffed about looking at alternatives, by the time I decided Travelodge was the one to go for ........YES, it had gone, already taken, only a family room available, for £73.00!!!
Someone got there before me, it wasn't you was it??? haha.
Oh well, part of the fun is the planning part, isn't it?
Regards
Rod
Author: Deirdre Flegg
Posted: Fri 18th Jan 2013, 12:02
Local Group: Dorset
Rod, Have you used the Raileasy website? It takes time, but you can search for cheaper options by splitting your tickets. Look for how the whole journey is routed , and then do searches on each leg. I had a quick trial run and got the cost (in April-they don't go as far as May yet) from Teignmouth to Norwich down to £56.50. Add in Railcards to see how much difference it makes. You can do the same for Norfolk to Bodmin (then a bus to Wadebridge). One warning: we have already booked B & B in Wadebridge, and they were getting 'tight'.

If you already know all this, apologies! I have had some amazingly cheap journeys using this method-e.g. Dorset to Manchester for £25
Posted: Fri 18th Jan 2013, 10:01
Thanks for your suggestion David. I may well get that train, but on friday. The main reason I don't want to take the bus or early morning train is that it would mean being awake and active for 4 to 5 hours before even taking the first step of the event.
Thanks Ian, I won't tell your wife, promise.
The cheapest train journey to Teignmouth from mine (Nth Sfk) is £133.00, it's cheaper for me to take the car even on my own, but I hope to car share, so anyone from Nfk, Sfk or Essex want to share on Friday 24th May? Your car or mine and share costs?
From Teignmouth I may leave the car and take the train then bus to my accommodation in Wadebridge.

Rod
Author: Ian Sykes
Posted: Thu 17th Jan 2013, 17:43
Local Group: East Yorkshire
If it's of help for any walker, The baggage team will at the finish from around 17-00 on the Friday. If anybody want to leave any finish bags with them, then that's OK by me. Just don't tell the wife. Any / all bags MUST have your walk number on.

Plus any all finish bags that are at the start will be waiting for them when you finish.

ian.
Posted: Wed 16th Jan 2013, 20:21
That should say Wadebridge and not Teignmouth of course!!!
Posted: Wed 16th Jan 2013, 20:21
Rod,
Why not get a train? I know the timetable could change, but at the moment, you can expect to get a 0719 train which gets you to Bodmin Parkway at 0859. A short bus journey (555) gets you to Teignmouth 20 mins later. A bit tight for the 0930 start, but you can always start at 1130 as you are a faster walker. A single ticket costs £7.50.
Posted: Wed 16th Jan 2013, 18:55
Is anyone interested in in combining forces with me? I'm trying to plan out my logistics for which I need to team up with others. To avoid the early start of using the bus from Teignmouth I would like to meet other walkers/runners in one or more cars at Teignmouth on friday 24th May. We then leave our end of walk overnight gear in one car/s (I'm happy to leave mine) and hide the electronic key fob (mine is seperate to the key) under the car. All of us then drive in the other car/s to Wadebridge to our chosen b&b's/hotel/campsite. Saturday morning we drive to the start and leave our surplus luggage (wash gear, excess clothing etc) in that car/s. After finishing our individual walks/runs we will all have access to our bedding etc from the car/s already there. Monday morning we drive to Wadebridge to collect the other car/s then go our own way. Obviously there is a lot of factors to take into consideration, one of them being completion times. I hope to finish in 30 - 35hrs (but who knows on the day???) so therefore a much faster person may not want to wait for me and I'd prefer not to have to wait for someone/s who expect to finish in 48hrs. My email address rod.spindler@hotmail.co.uk. I have also posted this on ldwa facebook. Thanks Rod

This website uses cookies

To comply with EU Directives we are informing you that our website uses cookies for services such as memberships and Google Analytics.

Your data is completely safe and we do not record any personally identifiable information.

Please click the button to acknowledge and approve our use of cookies during your visit.

Learn more about the Cookie Law